Trimming Crape Myrtle

patty_cakesAugust 10, 2012

When is the best time do do it and how~~bottom or top? I see several in the neighborhood that have a nice umbrella type shape, sort of droopy. I've trimmed off some of the bottom branches, a few suckers. The trees were newly planted a few months ago, and are doing great, even in the heat~of course i've been watering every 3-4 days consistently. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

there are CM's everywhere around Houston, they are very resilient, and withstand our heat, droughts, floods, and even severe pruning.

i've seen many that are topped at around 4-6' tall every fall and they keep growing back each year. i've seen some giant ones that are never or hardly ever pruned, like the large droopy umbrella shaped ones you mentioned.

mine were planted close to the house, so i only prune the ones that are within a few inches of the roof. and i also prune the suckers. we've been at this house for about 4 years, and they are about 15-18' tall, and have a nice spread with lots of blooms.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 9:57PM
Lynn Marie

You are doing it right, Pattycakes! You won't get away with Crepe Murder on this forum. Don't chop off their heads!

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 4:12PM
elchechex

The best time to trim crape myrtles is when your saws are sharp. (In other words any time). Thin, shape, trim, but never top them off.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 12:39PM
patty_cakes

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa~~at least that's one thing i'm doing right!

Elchechex, what do you mean by 'thin'? ;o)

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 5:07PM
wally_1936(8b)

Some prune back or dead head after they bloom to promote more blooms. Some once they have gotten larger any branch that is smaller than a pencil but most of yours probably aren't any larger than that now. All Suckers that come up from the ground or you will end up with a bush. If those suckers are far enough away from the parent plant you might want to dig them up at is if you want more plants. If you have ever moved one you will see many suckers come up from the roots that get left and each and everyone of those will most likely do better than the one you moved.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 8:36PM
burntplants(8/9TX)

Here's a great article (with pictures!) from the Houston Chronicle about how to prune a crepe myrtle:

Here is a link that might be useful: Guilty of crepe murder?

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Coral honeysuckle
Will this be easier to find in the next month or so,...
franksmom_2010
Need Texas wisteria in Austin
Good morning! Does anyone know where I can find Texas...
atxhoolie
Gomphrena globosa 'Fireworks' not an annual
Who else grows 'Fireworks' globe amaranth? It's listed...
briaustex 8b
I'm moving over here :) Castle looking house
Hi all! I recently posted pics over on the landscaping...
joannatmf
Iris Bloom on a Sunday!
This is another bloom that graced my morning walk....
pinkkpearls
Sponsored Products
11 Inch High Oval Bulkhead -Black
$37.81 | Bellacor
Gingerbread Man Porcelain Music Box
Grandin Road
Saldana Chandelier by Kichler
$635.80 | Lumens
Regent Small Emerald Isle Sailboat
Overstock.com
El Paso Table Lamp
Lamps Plus