Does anyone grow carambola (starfruit) in the Houston area?

julia42(9a)August 2, 2011

I know I've seen references (on Gardenweb) in the past to carambola trees in the Houston area. I'm wondering if anyone here has had success growing these trees in ground and protecting them from our more recent freezes.

I remember in particular somebody mentioning one growing and fruiting in a parking lot near work (I imagine that one got little freeze protection). Many articles I read say mature trees can sustain temps down to 26 - 27 degrees with little damage which strikes me as not much different from many citrus trees (navel oranges and lemons) which I see growing happily in my area (I'm on the south side of the city).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mangobaby

I have starfruit in ground since last 2 winters. It was 7ft tall and loaded with fruits before freeze hit us in winter which pruned it to 2 ft. Now it is back to 6ft and growing nicely.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 2:02PM
julia42(9a)

That sounds promising. What kind of protection did it receive from the freezes? Is it planted in a sheltered area? How cold did it get in your area? Are you growing a seedling or is it a grafted cultivar?

Thanks so much!

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 2:13PM
mangobaby

It is grafted plant that I got from JRN. I protected it with freeze cloth and 1 90w bulb . I am in NW Houston and it got to around 18 degrees here.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Isn't milkweed a perennial?
I started several plants last summer from seed and...
random_harvest
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
I have 1 1/2 acres to landscape with trees and shrubs help!
My yard is near a park where there are lots of deer...
johnfam
Need help saving my magnolia
Hi Folks, Could anyone suggest me the reason for wilting...
aukumar
Anyone Recognize This Cutie Beauty?
found it today, can't remember where it came from!
sylviatexas2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™