??when to plant fall tomatos in deep south TX??

palmfarmerJuly 3, 2008

when is a good time to plant fall tomatoes in deep south Texas? and whats recomended? early type? mid season? I wouldnt think a longer day type would be desirable but that is why I am asking?!?! any helps appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suze9(z8b Bastrop Co., TX)

As a very general guideline for Central and South Texas, anywhere from the second week of July to Sept 1 (depending on who you ask).

According to their planting calendars, both the Harris and Travis County extension services recommend setting out tomato transplants anywhere from mid-July to mid-Aug. I personally seem to have the best success sticking with early to mid season varieties for fall crop and planting out around the first or second week of Aug. July seems kind of early to me.

I like to plant some in containers so that I have a little more control over the amount of sun the plants receive and can also move them to a protected area later on if necessary. I also like to give them a fair amount of afternoon shade after planting out, then later move to a full sun area when it gets cooler and the days get shorter. (Much the same thing could be accomplished by using shade cloth when you plant out, then removing it later on.)

Others say they like to go as late as Sept 1 and sometimes have success with the mid to later season ones.

You might also want to include a few cherry types on your fall list as they tend to set better in the heat. Indet vs. det is also a consideration, because if we have a hot fall, true determinates can reach that mature/terminal bud stage, then kick the bucket before they've had a chance to set any fruit of note.

One more thing - unless you have a known source for fall transplants lined up (they can be hard to find), you'll either need to take and root cuttings from your spring plants or start some seeds.

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 10:58PM
palmfarmer

Thanks for the info, I have ordered seed, and plan on a late august set out, down in the rgv, this is when the commercial guys set out fall transplants,
Tad

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 3:53AM
hardys

LSU Agi center says 7/1-8/15 I am going to plant around 7/15. I am in the Cenla area.

Robert

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Southern Belle Tomato
I am searching for history on the Southerne Belle tomato....
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™