I Threw Out My Tomatoes !

DeebyJuly 14, 2014

Welp, everyone who hates Yellow Pear-you were right. Talk about gross. Little flavor if any, and a weird firm but mushy texture. This really surprised me because when I first tried them years ago I liked them.
The other throw away was Patio tomato. Even I who likes tangy couldn't get past the pucker on those. And the skins were tough yet thin and they stuck to my teeth.
I ENJOYED hauling them to the trash and heaving them in. Never again !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labradors_gw

Glad it gave you pleasure to chuck them in the garbage. However, I would have chucked them in a bag in the freezer and used them in my stews. I hate to toss food, especially when I have put a lot of effort into growing it.

Linda

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:49AM
containerted

I would have picked them totally green and added them to my Green Tomato and Green Peppers Relish. It's a sweet relish that goes well with hot dogs, beans, anywhere you use chow chow, and some places to be determined. You can add hot peppers to give it some heat and the pickling spices don't care if you use good or bad tasting tomatoes because it flavors everything.

I agree with Linda. Waste not - Want not !!!

This post was edited by containerted on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 15:09

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 3:07PM
Deeby

I don't cook. I'd be scared to death to can. I don't eat meat so no stews. There weren't many tomatoes. It did cross my mind to give them away but how could someone transport those huge bushes? They were in bags. Well, I have my Red Robins which I love and can always count on.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™