Looking for fruit salad tree in Houston, tx

keiraphamAugust 7, 2009

Does anyone know where I can buy some fruit salad tree in Houston or nearby area? Im looking for something like either different kinds of orange in one tree or different kinds of plum/peach on one tree. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spishack01(7)

I have never heard of such a tree!

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 6:47PM
john_bonzo

Houston Plant and Garden World has had 3 or 4 - in -1 peach trees in the past...not sure what they have now. I have not seen a fruit salad citrus tree for sale in Texas...probably have to graft it yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houston Plant & Garden World

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 10:47PM
havetohaveauctions

Hello!

Check out ebay and type in 'FRUIT COCKTAIL TREE' and then at the top left click the category 'Home & Gardening' you will find it. They are selling them for only $29.99 plus $10 shipping. The tree is probably young and it will take 2 years to produce fruit but well worth the wait if it produces many fruits on one tree.

Enjoy your new tree!!!

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 11:23PM
diamondjfarms(9a)

I've seen them at Enchanted Gardens in Richmond, TX. They have Low Chill fruit salad/cocktail trees. (plum, peach, nectarine, apricot)

They get them in around January and they don't last long. I missed them this year, but I will be calling and going as soon as they come in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enchanted Gardens

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 2:00PM
julia42(9a)

I've seen them at Caldwell's nursery in Rosenburg. Also, the Urban Harvest fruit tree sale in January usually has some multi-grafted trees for sale, if you can wait until then.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 8:15AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

That sounds like a cool tree. Does the fruit that does best here (plum probably) tend to take over the tree? Would it be a lot of pruning to prevent that? I'm guessing they use self-fruiting varieties or do you have to get two of them?

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 11:05AM
julia42(9a)

One of the neat things about a multi-grafted tree is that the different varieties that are grafted onto the rootstock should pollinate each other (assuming they bloom at the same time) so you only need one tree. Sometimes one variety can become dominant - you have to keep an eye of the growth of the branches and prune appropriately.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 8:08AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I'm confused. How do different fruits pollinate each other? Unless it's crabapples and apples or something?

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 10:17AM
julia42(9a)

Usually "fruit salad" trees are not as, umm, salady, as the title would suggest. It's usually several varieties of the same fruit, such as 4 different citrus, 4 different apples, or 4 different pears. You won't see a tree with an apple, pear, and orange all on one tree, because those fruits require different rootstocks. The exception would be stone fruits - I think I've seen trees for sale with plums, peaches, and nectarines all on one tree. I don't know if those would pollinate each other or not. However, I think stone fruits are more often self fertile than apples and pears, which usually do better with a pollinator. I think all citrus is self-fertile.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 10:29AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

That makes sense :)

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Does this organic weedkiller REALLY work?
I've been hearing a lot of claims that a combination...
mrs.wiggley
rabbit fence
We live in houston and looking at getting a rabbit...
sumanamine
How to plant Pride of Barbados seed pod?
Hi, For the first time I have a seed pod from my Pride...
monicatx
Need ballpark figure for irrigation
We recently put in a pool. Pool, landscaper, irrigation...
emrld444
I know its too wet to rototill but, what if.............
I live in North Texas and I am in the process of creating...
Steve Wiley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™