can i start desert willow seeds now?

scotty66(8 Hutto TX)August 29, 2011

I got a couple of seed pods off a desert willow (Chilopsis linearis) and would like to start growing some of the seeds now so I can plant them next spring, but I am an absolute newbie at this sort of thing.

how do I got about this?

Can I just put some seeds in 4" planter and stick it in a window sill? or should i buy a small fluorescent light?

Once (if) it starts to grow, how big an issue will indoor lighting be for a plant started in early September?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia link for the desert willow (Chilopsis linearis)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Yes , you can. Do half now and half in the spring. I might want to protect them from the cold this winter. I have found them a very easy seed. almost every seed will germinate. I scattered them directly into a looses mix in a 4" pot outside.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 11:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerlover78(8b)

wow that is a pretty tree flower, I have a tree that I thought was a desert willow, I know it is in the willow family - but the place I got it could not give me the true name. It had tiny yellow flowers this year and slender pods, that I wish I would have saved. - I know that my tree came from the valley. -

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
Pink & White flowering native trees
I saw some light pink flowering trees yesterday in...
ruthz
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Golden groundsel - evergreen groundcover for rabbit infested shade
The past few seasons we've been trying to find a ground...
bostedo
Native Plant Suggestions
This both a gardening and a social issue. I have a...
Redthistle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™