If it's not one worm (horn) it's another (fruit) worm..help!

enmnmAugust 6, 2012

Getting rid of the hornworms were easy. I picked them off and flicked them into the yard to be eaten by birds. The little fruitworms I found yesterday...not so much. They've already vampired several green tomatoes. I squashed a handful and sprayed the plant with Bonide Fruit & Vegetable 3-in-1 spray, but as the spray needs to make contact with the worm and the worms are teeny tiny and hiding in the bushy plant, I'm not hopeful.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

The smaller cats are hard to see, that's for sure. I spray Bt for most. I understand that it doesn't take out the larger ones very well, but it has helped a lot with small to mediums. I was having a time with climbing cutworms(medium sized, about 1 1/2")on many of my plants and it took care of the ones I couldn't find. It also takes out cabbage loopers which were decimating my tom plants last year. HTH

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 12:10PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Bt, sold as Dipel dust or Thuricide liquid spray, is the standard common treatment for all forms of caterpillars/worm pests. Lots of information here about it.

Dave

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 1:39PM
raisemybeds(SouthernCT)

Since you are jn my zone I wanted to note that I did find one fruitworm this season, and it was the first time I had ever seen one. I thought those were strictly southern pests! I am starting to see a variety of insects that I have never before encountered. It perplexes me.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 10:01AM
enmnm

Bonide's 3-in-1 is supposed to be good for fruitworms, and since I sprayed last week, the count has plummeted, although I did pick 3 or 4 off this morning. I also found, on the underside of a leaf, about a dozen tiny eggs laid out in a diamond shaped pattern.

They went down the garbage disposal.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 7:10AM
cole_robbie(6)

I had fruit worms on the fruit that laid on the ground, on the part that touched the ground. I'll try better cages next year.

I have read that horn worms glow under a blacklight at night. I might buy a cheap handheld blacklight next year and try that trick.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™