Vitex: Do you love it?

cynthianovakSeptember 17, 2013

Hi All
Thought I would do a maple in a west facing area of my house where a catalpa was. The roots don't make for a very big hole. Not I'm thinking about 3 vitex and hope they would form a fast grown, drought tolerant tall trio.

What do you think? c

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX(7b)

I love my vitex but they really want to be a bush :-) I have to trim and shape my single tree to get it growing upward. All that being said, my original 3 gallon plant (24 inches when I got it) is taller than the roof of my one story home.It's been in ground for 5 years. It is a fast grower, but you'll need a bit of space for 3.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:40AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I have two I have shaped into trees, and the others are just LARGE shrubs. I agree with Pam that three would take a lot of space. Somewhere in the gallery are pics of mine if you care to research.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:54AM
cynthianovak

Thank you both. I will go with 1 3-gallon plant rather than 3. You saved me again! I'm heading to the gallery to see them Carrie.....c

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 2:06PM
surfbreeze(9 TX)

They are great but love to grow suckers at the base. It is difficult as shared above to keep them as a tree. They are very easy to grow from seed if you need more later and grow very quickly.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:10PM
marti8a

Love/hate. They're not as drought tolerant as I hoped. I see them growing on the sides of highways so thought they would never need water, but they (at least mine) need to be watered every couple of weeks.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 11:36AM
jardineratx(zone 8, Texas)

I love my vitex, but I agree that keeping it trimmed to tree form can be a little challenging, especially in the first few years. I continue to remove suckers as they come up from the base of the trunk and I also find that if I remove the dried seedheads in late winter, the bloom is heavier. When it is in bloom I often have people walking or driving by ask me what the tree is.
Molly

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 9:32AM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

Molly, I love your house!
BTW I have a new granddaughter-in-law named Mollie.

Kathy

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 1:55PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I love the shape of your Vitex............looks as if you were more diligent in shaping than I !! Very pretty, Molly.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 5:23PM
cynthianovak

Molly thank you for the picture and a direction. I hope mine gets as big as Carries and that I can follow a plan to shape it. Love your beds!

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 12:02AM
mistiaggie(z9A Tx)

Vitex is beautiful but it is one plant I wish would stop being sold (along with Nandina) due to its invasive nature.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 5:48PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

i don't find them to be invasive. Sure, they do reseed some, but are easy to pull. I have other plants that are more invasive. Also, I have had three nandina shrubs that I put in soon after I moved here 21 years ago, and have not had a single one sprout.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 9:18PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Vitex is still "highly recommended" as a Texas Superstar plant by the TAMU AgriLife folks. Though, they've since added a note about it's reported regional invasiveness that's worth considering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Superstar: Vitex, Texas Lilac, or Chaste Tree

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 4:57PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Guess I am not in that region, bostedo ............thanks for the input.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 6:05PM
jardineratx(zone 8, Texas)

My vitex is a hybrid, Shoal Creek, which produces larger, more deeply colored blooms, so it is worth it for me to pull up the volunteers that come up. I rooted a cutting and have my second tree, but I have never grown any of the seedlings as they won't produce true from seed. The native vitex is an attractive tree/shrub, but in this case, I prefer the hybrid.
Molly

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 8:40PM
cynthianovak

Molly
Thank you for this information. This is the type I bought on Sunday. Not in the ground yet, but I am excited. I will remember to root cuttings not use volunteers. It sat on the passenger's side floor and I had to open windows because the fragrance was so strong. I've learned a lot here.
smiles c

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:13AM
beachplant(9b)

Mine is a tree. They survived Ike. It is a favorite of hummingbirds, bees and butterflies. We never water it. Suckers are not a problem but it does self-seed.
Tally Ho!

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 10:06AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

That is all mine does, Tally, and they are easy to pull if I can't find homes for them. I love this "tree" !!!

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
going to austin but can't spend all time nursery hopping...
...as much as I'd like to, ha ha. Would like to know...
vossner
Low growing native shrub?
I keep seeing photos of houses with dwarf yaupon in...
marti8a
Pros/Cons of bush germander?
Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences...
bostedo
Waxahachie Swap April 11 2015
We'll meet somewhere around 9 AM or so at Brown Singleton...
sylviatexas2
big box store "sale rack"
ran into a great deal on dianthus and phlox, all past...
ingridjill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™