Pride of Barbados Seeds

jojotexasgal(8A)September 29, 2012

A Facebook friend has graciously offered me some POB seeds.I live in Fort Worth (North Texas),and want to know should I start the seeds now in a pot to winter over and baby, then replant in the spring outside in my flower beds, or take a chance and sow seeds directly now(Oct 1st)since any danger of frost could be 2 or more months away? I would of course mulch and protect them during winter if sown outside.In researching how to plant the seeds, should I scarify the outer seed and soak in warm water,then in potting soil, or try the coffee filter method to get them started? Thank you for any input to help me along.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Doglips(8b/9a)

Sowing most any seed before winter is not a good idea. That holds doubley true for tropicals and winter weather.
Pot it now, two months is very little time for it to get established.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 3:02AM
beachplant(9b)

these go dormant in winter so I would not bother. Mine starts to drop leaves when it starts to get cold. I would sow the seeds in Jan or FEb indoors, keep them inside until last danger of frost then plant outside.

Just soak them overnight then plant shallow in a seed starter mix, keep them warm.

Tally Ho!

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 12:14PM
castro_gardener

JoJo -- I agree with Tally. These are really very simple to start. I stick seeds in small pots and keep them moist until they come up. Once they have a good root system you can put them in the ground. They come back from the roots each year, but up north I'd mulch where you are. But you'll have seeds if they don't come back for you. Just start them over again each winter.

patty

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 7:17PM
jojotexasgal(8A)

Thank you all for your info. I just got the seeds today, and will wait until Jan-Feb to sow them indoors and then transplant them to flower beds!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
Golden groundsel - evergreen groundcover for rabbit infested shade
The past few seasons we've been trying to find a ground...
bostedo
Rain Event, SE Texas
It doesn't look like we'll be planting our veggie garden...
luvs2plant
I have 1 1/2 acres to landscape with trees and shrubs help!
My yard is near a park where there are lots of deer...
johnfam
Native Plant Suggestions
This both a gardening and a social issue. I have a...
Redthistle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™