Beauty berry and Loropetalum

cynthianovakSeptember 27, 2011

HI All

All summer I watched 2 already damaged azaleas get worse.

I kept saying: I wish I had an American Beauty Berry and a big loropetalum in those areas.

Both spots get morning sun. One also gets noon day sun. The other area gets some late summer western Sun. Not much, maybe 2-3 hours.

I found a Burgundy Blast Loropetalum and the Beauty Berry this morning. Which would you give the afternoon blast to?

Thank you

c

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

I think the loropetalum - the smaller leaves probably wouldn't wilt as badly. And even tho they started out saying loropetalums were good in shady areas, they seem to prefer and look better/fuller and bloom better in sun. My loropetalum gets midday dappled shade, morning and afternoon sun, and does fine with it.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 1:29PM
jardineratx

I have both in my garden and I would go with the loropetelum, not only because BBs tend to wilt in hot sun, but because the loropetelum will look good year-round.
Molly

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 1:48PM
cynthianovak

Thank you both

That's what I was thinking. I put them where you suggested and I really like the color of the Loro. next to the green end of season foliage of the spring blooming azaleas.

Thanks again!
c

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 9:50PM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

I have 2 BB plants. Both from seeds that came up in a bed in the front yard. I think the seeds came from one I planted in 2007. It died in 2009's freeze....I think.

They were both in full sun. One I potted to plant in the back yard. The other is beside the side walk. It has done well this summer. They only thing "wrong" is that the sun burns the berries on top of each branch.
They are about 2 years old and very good size. The one by the side walk is about 2 1/2 feet tall and aout 3 1/2 feet wide/around.

Here is a link that might be useful: transplanted BB

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 11:15AM
Lin barkingdogwoods

Here in east Texas with sugar sand, the beauty berries grow in both sun and shade, most with no supplemental water. I had to take out a couple gorgeous ones in the one full-sun bed I had because that became my veggie garden and the beauty berry was too large and took up too much valuable sun.

The best berries I had on beauty berry were on the one in full sun and one that grows right up next to an oak. I can't figure out what that plant likes best! But, I do love when the cedar waxwings come swooping in to pick the berries in January...

Lin

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 12:23PM
cynthianovak

thanks all
I still haven't transplanted them...tucked 'em under shrubs until cooler weather comes tomorrow.

I'll try the mud method.

Looking at the azaleas, I may have room for another part sun plant. Big sigh and excitement too. Any suggestions?

c

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
I entered this post in the prairies and meadows forum...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™