Recommendations for best Cherry Tomato?

gaetanol(z6NY)August 5, 2008

I am growing Husky Cherry Tomatoes and I am very happy with them: The plants are early & productive, and the fruits are very tasty.

I plan on adding another variety of cherry tomatoes next year, and I thought I would solicit opinions from the members.

What's your favorite cherry tomato?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mr_potaohead

Sungold. Delicious, sweet and very prolific.

Husky Cherry has also been a good store bought one for me this year. I'm also growing (from seed) Aunt Ruby's Yellow, Brown Berry and Angora Super Sweet. But ARY and Brown Berry have yet to ripen.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 11:56AM
wvtomatoman(z6 WV)

It depends on what I'm going to use it for. So my favorites are SuperSweet 100, Sungold, Black Cherry, and Randy's Cherry Bomb.

I also have a suspicion and a suggestion. I suspect a lot of favorites will be Sungold, Black Cherry, and one of the sweets (Sweet 100, Sugary, etc.). The suggestion is to pick say Sungold next year, Black Cherry the following year etc. Trying is the real way to find out what you're going to like because of your personal taste and specific conditions (environmental factors).

Good luck and have fun.

Randy

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 12:04PM
cyumickey(Sunset 18)

I am growing snow white cherry this year. It is nice and tomatoey with some tang. I really like them and will probably grow it next year along with some kind of sweet cherry...

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 1:03PM
comotion(z7 ATL)

Sungold for me. Though i've grown few other varieties, it's easily been my favorite and most trouble free, nonstop producer. Makes a crazy good salsa too.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 1:10PM
peter_6

Matt's Mexican Wild for me; about 1/2 " with the most complex taste. Regards, Peter

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 8:31PM
doof

Snow White is pretty good. Not dazzling, but pretty good. The best thing about it is the way it looks. It makes a nice contrast when you're growing more than one type of cherry tomato.

I would say my two favorites right now are Black Cherry and Gardener's Delight (a small red cherry).

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 11:06PM
tomakers(SE MA Zone 5/6 or ?)

Sun Gold, Black Cherry, Gardener's Delight are my favorites, at this time.
I am also growing Matt's Wild Cherry(good taste, but tiny), Reisentraube(nothing yet), Green Grape(nothing yet), Super Sweet 100's(good, but very small), Camp Joy/Chadwick's Cherry(nothing yet), and Brown Berry(nothing yet). Kind of my own test to find the right ones 'cause I plant way too many every year. Unfortunately, I have liked every one I have tried so far. :-)
JMO,
Tom

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 1:02AM
fishymamas(z9, So. CA)

Our favorite "cherry" is actually yellow pear. Fun shape, color contrast, and the kids fight over who's turn it is to pick/eat them. We're tasting/trying different tomatoes and this one makes the cut with the kids every year.

*note*
For our trials, we score them 1-5, and at the end of the year take a look at which we liked best. YP gets 5's across the board from the kids, and is a 4.5 to hubby.

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow pear

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 5:08PM
lemonwater(Ca Zone 9/Sunset 15)

My favorite cherries are Sungold, Sun Cherry (another sweet hybrid), and Black Cherry (which has a very unique, but sweet flavor). I'm growing way too many cherries this year. Snow White is also good (and very attractive), and everyone else but me loves Coyote. I personally didn't find it to be bad, it just doesn't taste like a tomato! Sweet 100 and Sweet Million are also very good, but are too similar to Sun Cherry.

If you're interested in some Coyote seeds, I'm saving tons and tons right now! Anything that doesn't get eaten is getting its seeds saved so...

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 6:18PM
HoosierCheroKee(IN6)

From the standpoint of open pollinated cherry tomatoes (so you can save the seeds and repeat):

Red: Gardener's Delight/Sugar Lump (sweet and tomatoey)
Gold: Chello (almost as good as Sungold F1)
Purple: Black Cherry (damned hard to beat)

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 9:58PM
jbann23(6 RI)

I've got to give it to black cherry. Early on I was very sceptical and figured that no cherry tomato could be really good. I was wrong. Flat out the best fruity flavor I've ever experienced in a tomato. You've got to try Black Cherry, really.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 10:47PM
deanriowa(4b)

I am growing both Black Cherry and Matt's Wild Cherry. They both are very good and full of flavor.

Dean

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 11:34PM
sautesmom

Green Grape!!! Absolutely delicious when golden-ripe!

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 3:31PM
nutmeghill(6)

My favorite cherry tomato is sunsugar, it has all of the taste of sungold, but it doesn't seem prone to cracking, even with all of the heavy rain we've been having.

My second favorite is Black Cherry, an interesting color and taste.

PJ

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 6:11PM
dave1mn2(5b-6a)

We grew 6 Cherry varieties this yr.

I like Red Robin for its compact plant and earlyness but Gardener's Delight tastes better.

My Wife prefers Sprite and Black Cherry. She likes em sweet.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 6:34PM
doof

Dave, if you like sweet, you might like Brown Berry even more than Black Cherry. It tends to be sweeter and fleshier. They're both great.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 10:25PM
tania_in_vancouver(7b PNW)

SunSugar F1 (better than Sungold im my opinionm and does not crack as badly as Sungold)

Madara - the best open-pollinated yellow/orange cherry I tried so far. Not commonly grown, but deserves better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Madara

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 2:31PM
anthony_toronto

I like SunSugar as well, I grew these last year and people went nuts for them. SunGold tastes a little more like a tomato, but if you want something sweet and delicious this one is excellent.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/orange.htm, scroll down to SunSugar FT Hybrid

And no offense to person that suggested yellow pear, but it is a complete waste of garden space, looks nice but not worth eating at all. Just about the worst that I have ever tasted.

Black cherry also hard to beat. If you want a smaller fruit, I suggest Hawaiian Currant...size of a large pea, tastes great (very tomatoes for a small variety, moreso than any other currant variety that I have tried).

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 5:43PM
naplesgardener

I think you only need to grow one red cherry and if you're happy with Husky then add some diff. colors.

My favorites:
White: Dr. Carolyn-large ivory with very nice taste
Black: Black Cherry (of course)
Yellow: Yellow Pear-I LIKE the taste

What a pretty salad that is :-)

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 6:19PM
sprtsguy76(Santa Clara Ca. 9b)

Sun Sugar and Black Cherry.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 12:54AM
doof

Yellow pear IS very attractive. I've never grown it, and none that I have ever tasted were worth eating. But it occurs to me that it might be a good base for some hybrid experiments, if you could keep the shape and appearance and cross it with something to give it a better flavor.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 1:07AM
fusion_power

Try Yellow Submarine. It is a potato leaf pear shaped yellow tomato very similar to Yellow Pear, but with dramatically better flavor.

My overall best cherries are:
Camp Joy
Besser
Galina
Sungold
Black Cherry
Dr. Carolyn
Dr. Carolyn Pink
Green Grape
Sweet Quartz
Quartz Multiflora

I like to grow Ildi because of the way it flowers, but it is pretty poor in the flavor dept.

Next year I will be trialing a sungold lookalike that has stripes like green zebra.

DarJones

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 1:32AM
wild_forager

Super Sweet 100 is both delicious and disease resistant. Sungold was great before it got disease. It did not hold up well at all to disease, and afterwards they tasted horrible.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 7:44AM
janevx(z4 MN)

Sungold and Supersweet 100. They are so sweet. Easy to grow-- no diseases and beautiful.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 8:48AM
soultan

Sun Gold

Sun Gold

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 9:31PM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

I agree with most of the other posters:

Best hybrid - SunGold
Best OP - Black Cherry.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 9:06AM
sarajane(z5/6 PA)

Another vote for Galina. This year with plenty of regular rain, it is superb here in zone 5 with large plants and high yield. Other years it has been disappointing in size and yield, but not in flavor. A good meaty yellow/gold.

Sara Jane

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 4:29PM
doof

God, I hated the taste of Galina's. The only other tomato I hated as much was Dr. Carolyn Pink Cherry, which is derived from Galina's. People's tastes are so different.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 5:35PM
city_tomato

Me and my family like Sweet Millions the best. Very sugary and productive.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 6:03PM
bluema(7a)

This year, I tried "Sweet 100" and "Husky Cherry," and sweet 100 is much sweeter of the two.
Sweet 100 produced earlier than Husky Cherry, but the plant isn't as disease resistant and the fruits are smaller.
My in-laws visited a few weeks ago, and they all went crazy for Sweet 100 - they're so sweet and tasty, they're like fruit snacks. I'll probably repeat Sweet 100, but try Sungold with it the next year.
I think I've tried Supersweet 100 in the past, but I can't really measure it against sweet 100 side by side. I might try that experiment as well if I can't find Sungold nearby.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 4:18PM
camochef(zone 6)

Here in South Central Pa. I've grown Black Cherry, Sun Gold, Snow White, Sweet 100's, Super Sweet 100's,Sweet million, Juliet, Yellow pear. The ones that keep getting planted year after year are Sun Gold(hybrid), and Black Cherry (heirloom). If I had to go with only one it would be Sungold, although prone to splitting after a rain or allowed to mature too much, just pick before rains or watering and you'll do fine. Happy Gardening!
Camo

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 3:12PM
laura_k(6)

I had to chime in on this one -Purple Haze!
It's a little smaller than golf ball size, very productive and one darn healthy plant.
Sure, I like sungold as an old stand by but PH is a sweet/tart beauty that's going to go in again next season.
The only drawback is I only planted 1 to try it!

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 1:10PM
catman529(6b)

Are Reisentraubes any good? I like the sound of 40 per cluster, and the rich tomato taste not usually found in cherry tomatos. I'll have to grow a good flavor-packed cherry next year as well; I love that sweet/tang flavor as well.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 2:03PM
jtmacc99(z5/6 NY)

Here's the JTMacc99 list:

Every year: Sungold

Almost every year: Black Cherry (from TGS)

At least once every three years: Sugary (having a standard red grape is nice), Juanne Flammee, Green Grape.

I don't grow the nice red hybrid varieties, because I would end up using them for the same things as the Sungolds. I suppose they could share that job, but the fact is, I would end up using every last Sungold before I started to use the red ones, so they mostly go to waste.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 12:02PM
donnamarienj

Is there more than one Galina? Sometimes I see Galina's, or Galina's Yellow, or just Galina. I also saw Galina Grand. Which is the Galina that most people like?

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 8:00PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Is there more than one Galina? Sometimes I see Galina's, or Galina's Yellow, or just Galina. I also saw Galina Grand. Which is the Galina that most people like?

Galina's Yellow, Galina, Galina's are all the same variety.

And a Galina's Lellus has been listed in the SSE YEarbooks as well, but the person who gave the seeds to the person who listed them I'm pretty sure is Amish and I think the word lellus means yellow or alternatively Lellus is a family name. It's still Galina's Yellow/

DonnaMarie, I'd never heard of a Galina Grand so Googled it and found it at Bountiful Gardens.

I don't know why they altered the name, and they've done that with a few other varieties as well, but that's Galina's Yellow.

There's only ONE Galina's or however folks want to express the name of that variety.

I stiull use Galina's Yellow b'c that's the name that Bill McDorman used when he brought back the variety from Siberia and initially offered it and all the others ones he brought back at High Altitude Seeds, now Seeds Trust/

Carolyn

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 9:29PM
donnamarienj

I'm confused. This site says it's a red:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/120070/

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 10:15PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

It's a completely different variety also called Galina and you can see it's not the Galina we're talking about from Dill's comment:

On Dec 17, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a) wrote:
A 150 -200 g round red fresh market hybrid from Hazera.

The Galina we're talking about is OP and gold and from Siberia while the Galina Dill is talking about is an F1 market variety that's red, a hybrid and hybridized by Hazera Seeds which is in Israel.

Carolyn

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 11:05PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

DonnaMarie, below I've linked to the info and picture of Galina's Yellow which was right next to the Galina that you looked at in the DG Plantfiles.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Galina's Yellow

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 11:10PM
donnamarienj

Thank you, Carolyn

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 11:36PM
andyo

Hi,I was looking for the black cherry tomatoes that everyone is raving about, and got these -
but they are listed as chocolate cherry and not black cherry. I am assuming there is a difference? has anyone tried the chocolate cherry? Should I ditch them and go black cherry?

Here is a link that might be useful: chocolate cherry (parks)

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 8:34PM
tom8olvr(Z5 MA)

I have little people in my life so my cherry tomato criteria have changed over the course of time. I was always a fan of Dr. Carolyn (another Galinas relative), Green Grape, Reisentraube (although seedy, it tastes really good), etc.
Few years ago someone GAVE me plants (they said they were dr carolyn, but they were clearly YELLOW PEAR) and of course the little people LOVED them...
Last year I grew Black Cherry, Green Grape, Sungold, Isis Candy, and Dr. Carolyn and the only one that was a real stand out was the Sungold. Black cherry wasn't prolific and they're BIG for a cherry... Green Grape tasted great, but again not prolific last year. I wasn't impressed with Dr. Carolyn or Isis Candy last year either. All that being said, it was a terrible tomato growing season for me - so who's to say why they were not prolific & not stand outs.
I'm now looking for small cherries - the size of Sungold... so I'm growing THIS YEAR Sungold, Hawaiian, Mexican Cocktail, for the small size... then I'm growing Green Doctors (b/c I DO like the Galinas/Dr.Carolyn group), and a few other crosses that a friend shared with me.
A friend was asking me for Matt's Wild Cherry - is that a current tomato?

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 9:15AM
sunsi(z5 NY)

Purple Haze, because it's phenomenal.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Can a Cold Frame help Tomato plants get an early start?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=438829066275054&set=vb.415805398577421&type=2&theater...
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Cost effective hydroponic media for 5 gallon DIY dutch bucket
I started gardening two years ago growing tomatoes...
miguelngel
Baby tomatoes with yellowing leaves
My tomatoes plants are about 5 weeks old. They have...
libraryannie
Hardening Off As A Prelude To Plant Out
Sooner or later (sooner is better :-)) , time will...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Sponsored Products
Olive Branch Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Amanda Black 5 ft. x 7
Home Depot
Turtle's Tall Tale Giant Board Book
$9.99 | zulily
Belenus Gold Thirty-Two Light 36-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
Bellacor
Veneto Luce Aero Four-Light Polished Chrome Chandelier
$628.00 | Bellacor
Set of Four Gold Leaf Dinner Plates
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: Oscar Blue 3' 6" x 5' 6"