Need help pruning top heavy tomatoes

westminstressAugust 5, 2014

So my Sweet 100 tomatoes are like uncontrollable wild beasts. And they have grown so tall and so crazy and dense at the top that they have toppled the stakes over twice. There are literally hundreds of green tomatoes on this plant waiting to ripen, and more flowers as well, but the growth is out of control. I think I need to prune out some of the weight at the top -- any advice on the best way to do this and still preserve some of my tomato harvest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

No way to know what to cut without seeing the plant itself, that will be your choice. But using stakes rather than cages is the real issue. Cages provide a totally different type of support and allow all that top growth to just drape back down the outside and keep growing. With stakes all you can do is add more stakes around the plant.

If you can make a circle of 3-4 stakes and create a sort of cage of strings around the plant most of it will be supported. Then let it prune itself. Any branch that can't support itself will break over and wilt - remove those and leave the rest. Some will appear to break but won't wilt. They will survive so leave those.

Sweet 100s are always huge plants and for best results and production we have to plan ahead accordingly.

Dave

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:21PM
osagecounty

Sun Gold grows the same. I had some in cages and some on stakes. In both cases I eventually had to add more stakes to support the draping.

Don't prune!

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:23PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I agree with Osagecounty,
I am also growing a yellow grape size that is the same.

Most cherries seem to have a wild vine growing habit. But I am growing one (from store bought heirloom) that is manageable. No ripe fruits yet but it is loaded under 4 ft height .

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:57PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Double post again !
... NO INTENTIONAL...

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 3:11

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™