Wisteria in Austin

mandib(z8 WAustin)September 19, 2008

Is it possible to grow Wisteria here? I'm going to be doing some landscaping this month and will be cruising for stones and plants tomorrow with my designer so he can make up a list. I'd love to have a Wisteria growing over an arbor/pergola if possible, but I don't know if it just gets too cold here. I fell in love with one last year in the CA wine country!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Redthistle(8)

Wisteria will definitely grow in Austin and in some cases, it can become somewhat invasive. There are two kinds of Wisteria and one is better than the other in terms of not being so invasive.--Sadly, I don't remember which is which, but I'll bet someone else here will know.

I don't know where you live in Austin, but if you are driving south on Brodie Lane past Slaughter toward 1626, there's a bunch of it planted on the west side of the road. Of course, right now it wouldn't be in bloom.

Good luck!

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 10:01PM
texazgal(7/8)

I have 4 plants of it here in Lampasas, and it is doing just fine. 2 are planted on oak trees that died from oak wilt or drought and we are just too cheap to pay to get more dead trees removed. It should do fine in Austin.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 9:50PM
mommyfox(7)

Look for the native, non-invasive kind. It's called American Wisteria, scientific name Wisteria frutescens. I think that's how it's spelled, anyway! It grows quickly - I bought two, a color variety called "Amethyst Falls," this past spring and they grew about four feet! Very nice plants. Just be sure they're in full sun, they don't get exposed to high-nitrogen fertilizer, and you only prune right after they bloom. (They'll still grow otherwise, but they won't bloom as well.)

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 2:49PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I agree mommyfox, and you spelled it correctly.

Very Invasive:
Chinese & Japanese Wisteria
Wisteria sinensis / Wisteria floribunda
 Exotic wisteria vines impair and overtake native shrubs and trees through strangling or shading
 Plant a non-invasive native alternative - Texas Wisteria Wisteria frutescens

Texas Wisteria is, in my opinion, prettier than either of the exotic wisterias.

Here is a list of some more invasives.

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 3:24PM
mandib(z8 WAustin)

thanks for this info. I had no idea there was an invasive kind! The link on invasive species is really great.

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 3:44PM
annieinaustin(z8 Austin)

Sometimes wisteria is clipped and trained into a tree-like standard in the middle of a lawn - guess the mower chops off those sneaky sprouts.

Mandib, if you're interested, back in 2007 I blogged some photos of out-of-control wisteria in NW Austin.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria Gone Wild

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™