Half ripe tomatoes

puzzlefan(5)August 23, 2011

I have read a lot about green shoulders on tomatoes but not finding anything on why the tops/interior stay hard and green. I can eat about half to one third of each tomato I pick even though they are very read in appearance. As usual in northern MI, we get very little rain and I am dependent upon constant watering. It has also been an extremely hot July. Would the lack of rain and heat cause this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes, just as with green shoulders high heat causes uneven ripening. Not much you can do about it but provide some shade if possible.

Dave

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 1:35PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I've got some extreme green shoulders on some of mine too. My best solution is to let them ripen as long as possible before eating. I picked some Rutgers with almost the whole top half still green while the bottom was red. I let them sit on the counter for a week after picking and they continued to redden, so by the time I ate them only the top 1/4 was green.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 2:00PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Re. what edweather said, I think I've read that picking them early (as soon as the color breaks) lessens the irregular-ripening problem.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 12:43AM
puzzlefan(5)

Since tomatoes grow in Texas where I suspect it gets very hot, the couple of weeks of hot weather here shouldn't have impacted them. Now we have cool nights (48-50F) so I suppose getting them ripe will be almost impossible.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™