Does Cutting Off New Flowers Really Hasten Ripening?

lois(PA Zone 6)August 28, 2011

I know it's a little early in my zone to be thinking about frost, but I am wondering if trimming off any new flowers and flower buds really does make the remaining fruits ripen faster.

I've read the posts about just letting the green tomatoes ripen on the counter, but that didn't seem to work for me last year. I tried to let a completely green tomato ripen on the counter and it looked wonderful, but tasted bland.

So I am willing to sacrifice any new tomatoes if it would allow the older tomatoes to at least get to blush stage before I have to harvest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PunkRotten(9b)

I have heard heavy pruning or even taking a knife or shovel and cutting in a half circle by the base of the plant and destroying some of the roots will cause them to ripen sooner.

Supposedly puts the plant into a survival move and the plant will focus its energy on ripening the remaining fruit before dying. Not really sure if this is a proven method or not.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 3:48PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Removing flowers, no. Trimming off new growth, maybe. Some advocate topping the plants at season's end to force ripen the remaining fruit. I've never tried it personally since my season is so long here.

Same goes for spade pruning roots on one side of the plant - some swear by it. Logically it has the best chance of working.

What works best for me if needed is just to pull up the whole plant and hang it upside down in the basement, barn or greenhouse where it won't freeze. The fruit ripen nicely.

Dave

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 4:54PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

If shovel pruning you do it all the way around the main stem, about one foot out from the main stem, not just halfway around the plant.

What it does is to cut the top feeder roots, the other roots are depper so you aren't killing the plant.

And yes, for many is does work.

The temps for September here where I live in NYS are supposed to be much warmer and drier than normal, so I'm not doing anything to my plants well, not much to do after the devastation due to Irene today.

Carolyn

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™