Flowering shrubs in shade

jscaldwellSeptember 30, 2013

Hey all,

Would love some suggestions for the best flowering (hopefully) shrubs, etc. to plant in this shady strip on the NW side of our house, just north of Austin. It's roughly 25' long and 4' wide and is in shade most of the day but may get a little late afternoon sun depending on the time of year. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jscaldwell

Another view...

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 1:57PM
TXSkeeter

Dwarf hollies may be your best bet although Japanese Fringe Flower will usually bloom at least a couple of times a year and will tolerate some shade (at least mine did).

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 5:40PM
clairtx(z8 TX)

I have an area similar to yours and have planted camellias, hostas and ferns that do well.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 7:24PM
cynthianovak

my camellias grow slowly but are covered in buds. They only get dappled sunlight with maybe some brighter light occasionally. No, not even 1 hour. They would like more.
Isn't there a dwarf oakleaf hydrangea? They need little water.

My current passion for part sun are the dwarf abelias. Kaleidoscope is my favorite. For some plants, you might try ajuga and that purple jew which isn't a wandering jew but we all call it that.

someone gave me some purple perilla that is happy in shade and multiplies like crazy. I like that deep eggplant purple. Maybe you will too. I'll see if I can find the actual variety name.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 7:50PM
cynthianovak

Perilla frutescens var. purpurascens (Perilla

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 7:52PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Agarita (berberis trifoliolata) is a native evergreen worth considering; Turk's cap (malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii) and American beautyberry (callicarpa americana) are good if you'd like some deciduous variety. All should do very well in shade (and benefit wildlife) most anywhere in central Texas.

One of my favorite east Texas natives in shade is Virginia sweetspire (Itea virginica) for its flowers and very long enduring fall color on a surprisingly small amount of sunlight... at least in our DFW location. We have the 'Little Henry' compact cultivar (~2-3 ft). Seems to have a bit more tolerance for mildly alkaline soils than some sources claim as ours is doing well where the pH typically tests in the 7.0-7.2 range. Though probably not a good option where pH is much higher.

I still like leatherleaf mahonia (mahonia bealei) and any of the nandinas for this sort of shaded foundation location, but should consider the local invasiveness potential before planting any of the berried varieties - especially if you're within a bird's BM of substantial wild spaces.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Pros/Cons of bush germander?
Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences...
bostedo
ravencajun, about your security cameras
I asked on the plant thieves thread where you posted...
marti8a
Crepe Myrtle Transplating - Houston Area
Hi, I originally thought about posting this in the...
BirkdaleSteve
I'm moving over here :) Castle looking house
Hi all! I recently posted pics over on the landscaping...
joannatmf
Banner year for Dutch iris?
Unknown Dutch iris bulbs we received ages ago as one...
bostedo
Sponsored Products
4-Light Wall / Bath Burnt Sienna
PLFixtures
Radial White 16-Inch Outdoor Wall Light
$213.95 | Bellacor
Rugged Brown Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag
Lamps Plus
Timberline 3 Light Bath Bar
$114.75 | Bludot
CakeWalk Cake Decorating Set
$19.99 | zulily