Chelated Micronutrients

growneatAugust 16, 2013

Some of the growers I know are highly recommending the use of chelated micronutrients as a foliar spray on tomatoes. Does anyone here have much experience with this? These are said to be organic in that the nutrients are attached to a carbohydrate molecule. The chelated substance enters the leaves where the plant then removes the carbohydrate portion and utilizes the micronutrient.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Any reputable scientific university type study on this ?

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 12:46AM
growneat

bump

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 3:19PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Seysonn et.al. to to find university studies on any subject put ~ site:.edu ~ along with your keywords in Google.

Example ~ clelate vegetable site:.edu ~ finds, among others, HS1208/HS1208: Understanding and Applying Chelated Fertilizers Effectively Based on Soil pH which is one of several University of Florida extension service publicans available on-line.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 4:17PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

These are said to be organic in that the nutrients are attached to a carbohydrate molecule. The chelated substance enters the leaves where the plant then removes the carbohydrate portion and utilizes the micronutrient.

Not quite but close enough for our purposes. But not all CN quality as "organic". It all depends on if the chelate is bound to an organic nutrient source or a synthetic nutrient source. In other words the chelate is organic, the nutrient itself may or may not be. If that makes a difference to you.

My first question would be exactly which of the nutrients you feel is deficient? Iron, zinc, manganese, boron, etc. are all relatively minor ones easy to supply with most pH balanced soils. And if the pH is badly skewed to begin with then the benefits vs. cost doesn't balance out IMO.

Second question would be how to justify the costs of them for the average home gardener?

Dave

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 4:19PM
growneat

Dave:

I was looking at this primarily because a lot of the giant pumpkin growers use these substances on a regular basis and particularly calcium. As you know some of the minerals present in the soil and showing up in soil tests as "being there" are actually bound up and not available to plants even though being present in the soil. I looked at several videos and read several articles about chelated micronutrients either "bundled" with more than one and usually all the micronutrients in one package or individual such as calcium. I was just wondering if these were being commonly used by tomato growers or not and whether they were considered here as being organic as being advertised as such does not necessarily make it so. They are expensive but commercial growers seem to think they are worth it. Noone says anywhere that they make tomatoes either taste better or become toxic. Pumpkin growers apply them as a foliar feed which also has some appealing aspects. They reportedly do not harm the soil. My little garden will never be a financial success. Potatoes and tomatoes and garlic and corn at the local grocery store are fresh and cheaper than I can grow them. What is the value of being able to "pick and eat?"

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:17AM
UncleDunkel

This is a neat video

http://www.albionplantnutrition.com/plant-nutrition/efficacy/#video

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 4:17PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Unckle Dunkle and Growneat Corporation !!!

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™