Returning Plant Nut (Houston)

rumbum(9)September 14, 2012

Hi everyone! I was on this forum previously but moved out of state for a few years. Now I'm back! I was in Austin and now south of Houston; I'm excited to learn a new gardening region!

In general is the S. Houston region's soil acidic or alkaline? Does anyone have a favorite website or book of native plants for S. Houston?

Happy Gardening!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

We are Alkaline East of us in the piney woods area they are acidic. Check with your local extension agent. Not sure what area you are in but when I lived on the coast I found the soil produced better than we have in the Houston area. Try typing in the information you desire and see what turn up for your area. Native plants are a wide range of plants and trees. Also where you want to place them, etc.

Paul

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 4:17PM
beachplant(9b)

Alkaline and if you are in Houston then probably gumbo. The water is really alkaline too.

Check up at Buchanans and some of the other nurseries in the Heights, they have great staff and lots of natives. Off the top of my head Buchanans is the only one I can think of but there are 4 or 5 of them up there. Zone 9 tropicals has their open house this weekend, he has some natives and tons of rare tropicals. He is in the Heights also. Josephs in Pearland carries a fair number of natives, tons of fruit trees and awesome plants at super prices.

As far as books, there are Houston gardening and Gulf Coast gardening books written by gardeners in this area, your library should have copies of them.

Tally Ho!

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 8:52AM
lfhhouston(9a)

I grew up near Pearland, Tx & now live in the Heights. Buchanan's is an awesome resource but also check out Maas Nursery in Seabrook. Very knowledge nursery and a great adventure to visit! I find listening to Gardenline with Randy Lemmon on AM 740 sat & Sun mornings 6-10 is a great resource as well. Good luck & welcome back to SE Tx!

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™