Help picking trees/shrubs for fence line

miken(Z8 DFW)September 8, 2009

Okay... not terribly knowledgeable and looking for some help.

We have a fence, but back to a fairly busy street. Our yard is fairly small (depth) so I'm looking for something that won't grow (or is easily trimmed down) too deep. Ideally, something that I can keep 6' to 12' tall and will allow me to line our fence line, but also stay around 3' deep or so.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treelover(z8b SoCtrlTX)

Are you just looking for something to hide the fence? Or are you trying to mask traffic noise?

You might be happier with vines. Something like confederate jasmine, which is evergreen, fast growing & very easy . . . maybe with just one or two small trees?

Then the trees (or large shrubs) could be limbed up if you want to keep the bulk of their foliage overhead. Wax myrtle, Crape myrtle, Vitex and Texas mountain laurel (slow growing) are all nice.

If you do go with a row of trees/shrubs, I recommend not using just one species.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 8:37PM
miken(Z8 DFW)

Looking for noise block as much as anything. Interesting recommendation on not using just one species of tree/shrub.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 9:57PM
treelover(z8b SoCtrlTX)

Should have said . . . partly because it makes a more interesting shrub row (and you can have stuff that blooms at different times if you want) but more importantly, if one species gets wiped out from a disease, you haven't lost everything.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 10:09PM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Treelover makes a good recommendation. The mixed row of shrubs or hedges is something I see recommended and used more and more. It really makes sense.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 10:38PM
jolanaweb

Confederate Jamine will get as thick as a shrub and the evergreen factor is a definite plus
The last couple of years I have really fallen in love with the flowering sennas, they are tough as all get out.
I don't know if they would be evergreen or semi up there but they don't get that tall to begin with easy to prune, in fact you can be brutal with the pruning and they love you more for it, lol
They are grown as trees and or shrubs

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
Carrie: Cardinals Prefer Sun to Eating ...
Carrie says: "Due to a second snow fall we had...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™