Are sun golds cherry tom seed saveable

michelliot(z7 ny)August 30, 2012

Can't believe the productivity of these babies. Planted way too many for my small family. Had to make a couple of gallons of sauce now stashed away in the freezer.

I'd love to grow them again next year, but i have a feeling that the seeds are not viable for next year. Please tell me i'm incorrect.

Thanks and be well,

elliot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Coconut_Head(5b)

They will grow tomatoes, but they will likley not be sun golds.

CH

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:47PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Agree with CH.

Saved seeds are quite viable but since Sungold is an F1 hybrid what you might get could be red or orange or gold, as others have, but won't have the same taste nor unique scent of the foliage.

There are a couple of open pollinated (OP) Sungolds but I think most would say that while they might be close they aren't the same. Reinhard Kraft in Germany developed those two and continues to work with Sungold F1 in several ways.

Carolyn

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 4:21PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

If you puchased these seeds,the seeds remaining in the pack will be viable for many years if stored proper.

If you save seeds from the toms you grew they may not grow out to the same plants you have now .But still are viable.

VIABLE means "(of a seed or spore) Able to germinate."

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 8:47PM
michelliot(z7 ny)

I really don't have the room to experiment, just hoping for an identical harvest as this year. Maybe one of the nurseries will have them again next year.

Carolyn, you mentioned the aroma of the plant; I think the mosquitoes are attracted to them as well. When I'm picking these babies, I'm getting swarmed by the little beggers. Very uncomfortable. Another home in the neighborhood gets visited by my wife doing homecare and when she works with her patients outside the same thing happens to her. There's a sungold plant near her as well.

They are tasty though. (the tomatoes that is)

Speak to ya,
elliot

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™