What happened to my tomato plants ?

readheads(6)August 30, 2012

Looking to see if anyone has any thoughts on what may have happened to my plants. Since early spring the leaves developed the "yellow" from bottom. I kept trimming off the leaves but the yellow kept on going until the entire plant was full of yellow at which point I pulled 17 of the 20 plants. The Sungold put up the best fight but even they are now succumbed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

It's a foliar disease. It looks like blight, but you'd have to post close-up pics of more leaves. It's not going to be good news, whatever it is.

Did you ever spray fungicide? Daconil is popular as a preventative.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:52PM
coconut_head(5b)

Doesn't look like Blight to me, Usually yellow leaves with brown edges means water stress. Also Later in the season I think some leaf branches will just die off naturally, especially near the bottom of the plant.

I see no mulch and weed competition, so I would say water stress + the age of the plant. Clip off the yellow and dying leaves, Add some mulch and see if that helps.

For a home fungal spray, Add the following to a gallon of water. 2 Tbl Spoons Baking Soda, 2 Table Spoons Veg Oil, Few drops of Dishsoap. Spray on the tops and bottoms of the leaves and the stems of the plants.

CH

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:56PM
readheads(6)

I didn't mulch this year, I suspect nutrient issues, used micronutrient solution but was not very accurate/consistent in its use. Don't want to spray Daconil all the time (it rubs me the wrong way). Thinking of removing the top 2 inches of soil at the end of season and next year using thick landscaping fabric and mulch to protect the leaves from splach infestation from the soil. I need to test my soil.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Can a Cold Frame help Tomato plants get an early start?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=438829066275054&set=vb.415805398577421&type=2&theater...
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Pinetree Garden Seed Company for Cuostralee
Is Pinetree Garden Seed a reliable source for tomato...
matthias_lang
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Red Robin, Snow Fairy, Tiny Tim in indoor hydroponics
I'm trying these three varieties primarily because...
delaware
Sponsored Products
Yellow Flower Garden Stake
$19.99 | zulily
Laura Ashley Silk Agave Plant with Planter
Overstock.com
Botanical Garden Living Wreath
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Red Carpet Studios Birds of a Feather Chimes - 10722
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Flower 36-inch Round Table
Overstock.com
Jaipur Himalaya Canterbury Natural Solid Pattern Jute/Cotton Rug - RRC021533-000
$76.00 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Jefferson Adjustable Arbor - White Finish
Fifthroom.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™