What happened to my tomato plants ?

readheads(6)August 30, 2012

Looking to see if anyone has any thoughts on what may have happened to my plants. Since early spring the leaves developed the "yellow" from bottom. I kept trimming off the leaves but the yellow kept on going until the entire plant was full of yellow at which point I pulled 17 of the 20 plants. The Sungold put up the best fight but even they are now succumbed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

It's a foliar disease. It looks like blight, but you'd have to post close-up pics of more leaves. It's not going to be good news, whatever it is.

Did you ever spray fungicide? Daconil is popular as a preventative.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:52PM
Coconut_Head(5b)

Doesn't look like Blight to me, Usually yellow leaves with brown edges means water stress. Also Later in the season I think some leaf branches will just die off naturally, especially near the bottom of the plant.

I see no mulch and weed competition, so I would say water stress + the age of the plant. Clip off the yellow and dying leaves, Add some mulch and see if that helps.

For a home fungal spray, Add the following to a gallon of water. 2 Tbl Spoons Baking Soda, 2 Table Spoons Veg Oil, Few drops of Dishsoap. Spray on the tops and bottoms of the leaves and the stems of the plants.

CH

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:56PM
readheads(6)

I didn't mulch this year, I suspect nutrient issues, used micronutrient solution but was not very accurate/consistent in its use. Don't want to spray Daconil all the time (it rubs me the wrong way). Thinking of removing the top 2 inches of soil at the end of season and next year using thick landscaping fabric and mulch to protect the leaves from splach infestation from the soil. I need to test my soil.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
How long for seeds to germinate?
Had a few hard to get seeds this year that have not...
anthony_toronto
fertilizer recipe for tomatoes?
First I found something in the local hardware store...
kawaiineko_gardener
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Why Black Krim Tomatoes grow like that.
Started seedlings of Black Krim Tomato in Asia last...
mmm100
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™