smilax-- lost my mind and want to grow it...

merrybookwyrmSeptember 28, 2011

I was in Cedar Hill by defunct Petal Pushers, looking at what has survived the horrible, no good, very bad summer all unwatered. I recognized a few antique roses, juniper, redbud, lantana, turks cap, maybe horse herb, maybe native plums, the seed heads of something daisy-like, baby pecan trees, and some beautiful green vines with red berries.

If those green vines weren't smilax aka greenbrier, I will be very surprised. They were very pretty, even gorgeous with the red berries.

Has anyone ever trained one of these monsters up a trellis? Or grown one on purpose?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annnorthtexas(8)

I haven't grown any on purpose, but if you want some, I have plenty that needs digging out. It's running every where in the back of my yard. It loves to run up the rose bushes so I pull it out to keep it from strangling them.

I don't have a pretty kind though. It doesn't have very many leaves.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 7:18PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I let it grow up a trellis and around an old wooden bird house that's mounted there. I think it has very pretty leaves and the red berries right now are a big plus. Now that the berries are in season I notice the vine on fences around the neighborhood and in the woods. I don't find a problem with it at all. So I'd say go ahead and grow it :-)

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 7:21PM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

You probably saw Carolina Moonseed vine. It does grow in TX.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 8:00PM
merrybookwyrm

Thank you roselee and plantmaven. The pretty vine seems to be the poisonous cocculus carolinus instead of edible smilax greenbriar. At least the pretty carolina moonseed seems to be better behaved than the wild smilax greenbriar!

I'll check the pretty vine and its seeds against the carolina moonseed information and against the greenbriar information again.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 9:30PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Cocculus carolinus is what I have too. The mention of red berries confused me -- must be my age ;-) One hundred sixty four is getting up there!

Anyway, here it's an easy to grow graceful mannerly vine.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 11:00AM
texasflip(Nacogdoches, TX z8)

I don't think it's crazy to want Smilax, certain species are really nice looking. I especially like S. smallii and S. glauca. I know at least S. smallii is virtually thornless on the upper branches.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 2:35PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

This vine is in my house's easement behind the back fence growing up the hackberries. I like the red berries too. The kind here doesn't have thorns. I think they are festive but I wouldn't let them lose in any kind of "real" flower bed. As aggressive as my plants tend to be they'd be smothered by this stuff.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 12:03AM
beachplant(9b)

Cocculus carolinus totally HATE this vine, redberries or not, food for wildlife or not it is by far the worst weed in my yard. 20 years later & I've not made a dent in it, nothing kills this crap.
TallyHO!

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 2:42PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Your no freeze weather doesn't knock them back Ms. Tally. The price for being able to grow Jacarandas. Not that I'm jealous or anything :).

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 2:59PM
Lin barkingdogwoods

Re: smilax - did you know that you can buy it for greenery to cover arches, columns, etc., at special events? I think I'm missing an opportunity here.

Here is a link that might be useful: East Texas Smilax

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 8:26AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I had no idea, Lin, I am a millionaire overnight...thanks!!!

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 9:24AM
linda_tx8(8)

We all have our foibles! So if you want to grow the vine, DO it! You should see some of the things I grow...including Cocculus carolinus. Now, Smilax species...that pops up just fine without anyone growing it on purpose.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 8:45PM
Lin barkingdogwoods

The folks I bought my house from apparently dumped the cat litter out back on the hill, just above my new rose garden. I was digging in the aged litter to see if anything would grow there, and I found the HUGEST bulbs from smilax that I had ever seen. Too bad I didn't think to keep them to propagate more of this money-making plant.

(that's my size-8 shoe for size comparisons)

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 8:50AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Wow, Lin, guess I would not have been "pulling" that one out with my hands. That one alone should net you a pretty penny.

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 1:45PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Wow! That is huge. Do the berries stay on the plant, or better yet, stay red if it's cut? They'd look great in a Christmas wreath. Ninety bucks for a plant that volunteers aggresively everywhere. Those folks are smarter n me!

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 10:26AM
Lin barkingdogwoods

PJ, I try to get mine out before they form berries - I don't want them spread! And I think it's $90 for a bale of the vine, not for a plant.

The greenery WOULD look nice in a wreath, though ...

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 6:54PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

The vines are really flexible too. Spreading berries are a concern by the front door. Fake berries may have to do here. This will be a first time project but there's nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 9:44AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I wonder if the company that sells the bales of greenery is actually selling thorny smilax or Cocculus carolinus?

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 11:14AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

The vines here are the thornless Cocculus carolinus. The actual smilax is too thorny to work with! I just go with the lazy common name.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 7:51PM
Lin barkingdogwoods

Roselee, the place in east Texas looks to sell real smilax - if you let the photos cycle through there's a close-up and it looks like the thorny stuff on my property.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
big box store "sale rack"
ran into a great deal on dianthus and phlox, all past...
ingridjill
Coral honeysuckle
Will this be easier to find in the next month or so,...
franksmom_2010
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs State of Honor Slate/Ivory
$41.97 | Home Depot
Cashmere Bunny Personalized Stork Delivery Gift Set - Boy - SDGSB
$78.99 | Hayneedle
Terzani | Atlantis Wall Light - J03A
YLighting
Travel Labels Glass Tray
$18.99 | zulily
Chain Links Giclee Shade 12x12x8.5 (Spider)
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
nuLOOM Handmade Eco Natural Fiber Chunky Loop Jute Rug (9'6' x 13'6)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™