Flowers for Cutting Garden

mollyinthegardenSeptember 30, 2010

HI All,

I am thinking of planting a small area of my riased garden as a cutting garden and I am wondering what everyone's favorite flowers are for cut flowers? I already have plenty of roses, but am open to any other suggestions of plants that stay relatively compact (2'x2' or so). Annuals or perennials in a mostly sunny area. Thanks in advance! Molly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seamommy(7bTX)

Daisies are a nice perennial that spread slowly and are easy to divide. They make a great cut flower too. Sunflowers look lovely in a cut arrangement or all by themselves. They are available in a lot of different color variations now too. Zinnias also bloom all summer and make great cut flowers. Cheryl

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 3:46PM
Lynn Marie

I accidently broke off a dahlia flower, so I stuck it in water. It is still pretty after 4 or so days. If you can grow them, I would.

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 6:13PM
mollyinthegarden

Thank you both! Cheryl, what type of daisies? I know coneflowers make nice cut flowers and would love to add some other daisies. I love dahlias, but I am not sure if I have ever seen them in Austin. Does anyone know if they grow easily here? Thanks again, Molly

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 8:19AM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Not sure about Austin. I don't have personal experience, but they're supposed to grow here if you choose the small flowered ones.

bkay

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
Plant thieves
Have any of you encountered plants being stolen right...
texaskittysa
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
I have 1 1/2 acres to landscape with trees and shrubs help!
My yard is near a park where there are lots of deer...
johnfam
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Sedum suggestions or thoughts?
Please bear with a newbie dumb question. I bought Rainbow...
tejas_ruthie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™