Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass

kyastanleySeptember 6, 2010

I have a question. Since we are in the last part of the year, what kind of fertilizer should I use for my bermuda grass before winter. My first application in the spring was a Vigoro 15-5-10 fertilizer,and every 45 days after that I have been using a 35-0-5 vigoro fertilizer. The results have been okay. Any suggestion on what I should use on my last application for the year?

Thanks,

Kurt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Fertilizer is a lot cheaper at LESCO/John Deer Landscape stores. Look for them. In the lawn forum, this sod farm owner often suggests first or last fertilizer of each year to be 15-5-10 and rest for 39-0-0 for every 30-45 days.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 9:19AM
Lynn Marie

I'll tell you what, we aren't into all that organic gardening, but a neighbor started putting compost from the dump on his bermuda yard and it looked way better than ours, so we copied him. Now ours with compost AND fertilizer looks better than his! (It doesn't hurt that we aren't afraid of weed killer and he is!) So, I suggest adding compost with the fertilizer IF you can get it for free like we can.

Lynn Marie

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 2:17PM
jtyrie(Z7+ DFW)

The sod farmer that Lou is talking about put out the "Bermuda Bible" which pretty much tells you all you need to know about the care and feeding of Bermuda. You will have to google it because the link is blocked here. You ought to go over to the lawn forum. There's a lot of good stuff there. BTW, Home Depot in my area is carrying a limited supply of Lesco fertilizer. I found that the Lesco dealer in this area is pretty expensive although their product is good.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Can you ID this bird?
These pictures are from Carrie. Can you ID this bird? Thank...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Rusty blackhaw viburnum spacing to fence
Intend to train this small RBV (Viburnum rufidulum)...
bostedo
Plant Quiz: What are these?
Here's a quiz. I pulled these seeds from a plant in...
Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™