Rookie needs some help diagnosing problem

koalb01August 26, 2012

Can anyone tell me what's causing the leaves on my Mr. Stripey to turn yellow like this and what I can do about it?

Thanks much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

I'm thinking blight. Mr Stripey is an heirloom and going to be susceptible to every disease there is. I had a frustrating experience with it this year, and it's one of the very few I won't grow again.

If it is blight, you can clip the dead leaves and spray the plant with a fungicide like daconil. That will help to slow the spread of the disease to the leaves that are still green.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 3:54PM
koalb01

Thanks. I've heard that neem oil helps keep blight under control. True or not?

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 9:07PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

not

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 9:24PM
cole_robbie(6)

The neem oil is for mites. If that is blight, you need a fungicide, like Daconil, Copper, or Sulphur. If you don't want to use any chemicals, you can try a 20% milk and water mixture or hydrogen peroxide.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 10:36PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Umm, milk, water and hydrogen peroxide are all chemicals.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 2:21AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Blight is a general word that many use to describe a sick tomato plant but it's best to be able to ID the specific disease involved if one can.

First, I Don't know where you live which would help narrow down the possibilities.

If it's a foliage disease I'm just noting that there are no varieties, hybrid or OP, that are tolerant of the common foliage diseases, but I don't see any spots on the leaves that would indicate that so please do note if you see any such leaf spots and if so please describe as to size and color and shape and if there are any yellow halos around them. Also if there are any dark colored areas on the stems.

If it's a systemic soilborne disease, such as Fusarium or Verticillium or several others, again, it depends on where you are in a geographic sense, then there's nothing to be done at this point.Even with hybrids that have tolerance to some of the soilborne diseases all it means is a week or so more of growth before the plants go down. There is no such thing as total resistance to soilborne diseases, and the genes that are bred into many hybrids are of best use to large scale commercial farmers who base when they harvest on Brix levels, which is a measure of soluble sugars and the extra few days that tolerance brings can allow for those Brix levels to reach the right level.

It would also help to know if you're growing other tomato plants and if they all have the same symptoms.

Carolyn

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 3:32AM
More Discussions
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™