When do I plant winter wheat? NTX

tim_the_gardner(8)September 19, 2010

When should I plant winter wheat in the Dallas area? I have a small (50x50) area where I normally plant Corn sometime around April 1st. I bought some wheat from a local feed store and wanted to plant it in the same area, to improve the soil... and if I am lucky, maybe get some edible wheat grain also. Also when would the wheat be ready to harvest? Would it be ready before April 1st? since I plan on planting corn there around April 1st. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

Tim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rowdysmom

Plant the winter wheat now. It should be ready to harvest by May 1, or thereabouts.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 11:07PM
tim_the_gardner(8)

Man that's going to cut into my Corn crop planting. I try to get it in the ground on April 1st. Is there a chance it will be done before May? Maybe if I water it well? fertilize it? maybe speed up the process? Thanks for the help,

tim

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 11:20PM
rowdysmom

If you plant right now - water and fertilize, maybe it will be ready by April 1, but that is really early for winter wheat.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 11:25PM
marti8a

I've never seen wheat harvested before June. Could you plant the wheat on the whole plot and then turn under half while it's still green, and then plant the other half after the wheat harvest? BTW, how do you plan on threshing your wheat?

I've grown wheat before, for the same reasons as you, and even though a book I have said it is easy to thresh with a plastic baseball bat, I found it very difficult.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Can you ID this bird?
These pictures are from Carrie. Can you ID this bird? Thank...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Please name this succulent.
Bought from Lowes sale rack and it just had a generic...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™