Newbie: Heirloom Tomatoes Look Good, Taste Baaad

spideykimAugust 16, 2011

It's my first garden, and I have a raised bed garden with cherry tomatoes that taste great.

However, the heirlooms are just coming in, but when I picked an heirloom and cut it up, it tastes bad. (I have had farmers market heirlooms a lot, so I'm familiar with how they should taste.) I picked it while it was red but not huge (about the size of a plum.)

The heirloom tasted kind of like it's rotten, but it doesn't look or smell or feel rotten. So far I've only tried one, but more are ripening. Is there something I can do to make sure the others taste better? They do not appear diseased...

It is in a raised bed with compost and soil. I use EB Organics to feed them once a month. As I mentioned, the cherry tomatoes taste great!

Please help. Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
behlgarden(9)

Heirloom is a geenral term, i.e. seeds that you can grow out of your own fruit again and again. there are tonnes of varities of heirloom tomatoes, some are great and some are not so great.

what kind of tomato heirloom did you plant?

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 3:38PM
mewhee

Hi SpideyKim -

Keep in mind one sample may not be enough to gauge the whole plants taste or lack therof. If you're growing more than one heirloom variety in the same vicinity, see if that has the same lack of quality. If not, more than likely it's that specific plant.

As to whether there's anything more you can do to improve the rest of that specific plant's output, more than likely you're done for this season anyway.

Have a hunch it's probably just one bad apple - scratch that - tomato among many good ones to follow ... ;-)

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 4:36PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sounds to me like you left it on the vine far too long and it was past ripe, something many who are new to growing tomatoes often do. The fruit you buy at the farmers market was picked at what is called color break - shortly after it begins to change to red/pink - and kept to ripen inside.

But as others have said, the term "heirloom" isn't really helpful as it has many different meanings. We need to know the name of the tomato variety.

Dave

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 5:17PM
monet_g

Was it kind of mealy? When I eat one that is, it tells me it's over ripe. Also, I don't think the first ones coming off the vine are the best.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 10:52AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hmmm, was hoping for a reply or more info from the original poster.

Dave

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™