Azure allium - sun or shade

eventfarmOctober 23, 2008

I bought a bunch of shade plants (I thought) but as I was doing more research I'm reading that azure allium wants full sun (but tolerates part shade).

I was planning on planting it with some spanish bluebells and hostas in the front of my house which never gets direct sun. With 4 massive oaks in the front, some light gets through, but not much...

Has anyone had any success with growing allium in the shade?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikeandbarb(z8 D/FW)

I looked it up and it said that it takes Full sun, part shade to full shade. If the bulb is only a year old it might need another year to flower or it might need some fertilizer, I use bone meal it's cheap and easy and I get a lot of my bulbs to bloom using it.

........Warning...... though if you have dog's running loose do not use bone meal or you'll find all of the plants dug up. My dog's follow me around the yard when I bring out the bone meal. I use it when I plant something new it works great on roots but I have to cage up the plant from the dog's.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 11:14PM
cynthianovak

I love alliums, but haven't planted this one. They really do want full sun. I;ve got lots of shade and part shade. I looked your allium up and it's fairly tall. What happens is they fall over stretching for the sun. I have the little white ones return like weeds, even they want more sun and fall over.

These look lovely in the photos. Any chance you have a spot that will get lots of sun in the spring? I try to choreograph my bulbs with the trees leafing out. Sometimes I miss some steps.

c

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 10:01PM
eventfarm

I really wanted to use these in the front of the house since I'm working on a blue garden up there. I do have a place that gets about 3 hours of morning sun, maybe I'll plant a few bulbs there and some where I really want them and see which place the plant likes better. :)

It is a pretty color though, huh? I hope it gets that really neat blue tint that the pictures show.

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 12:21PM
mikeandbarb(z8 D/FW)

They are beautiful. Where did you find them?

Barb

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Waxahachie Swap April 11 2015
We'll meet somewhere around 9 AM or so at Brown Singleton...
sylviatexas2
Low growing native shrub?
I keep seeing photos of houses with dwarf yaupon in...
marti8a
Pairing flowering plants for new bed zone9a
I am turning this 13x5 space into a flower bed and...
johnfam
Banner year for Dutch iris?
Unknown Dutch iris bulbs we received ages ago as one...
bostedo
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
Sponsored Products
Kharma II Red/ Green Rug (6' Round)
Overstock.com
Ferros Mini-Pendant by Lithonia Lighting
$88.29 | Lumens
ELK Lighting Crystal Flushmounts 31252/3 Flushmount - Polished Chrome - 16W in.
$310.00 | Hayneedle
Lockheart 4Lt Hall / Foyer a Blacksmith
PLFixtures
Mango Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Stained Glass Sunflowers Tiffany Style Home Pendant Lamp
ParrotUncle
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Mocha Cream Thick Weave 34
Home Depot
Mozzkito Table Lamp by Ingo Maurer
$745.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™