Fall Garden DFW

3boys2girlsOctober 3, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and new to gardening as well. We live in the DFW area and would like to know which vegetables grow best in our area for the fall. Is it too late to plant? Also, we planted tomatoes, jalapenos, and basil this summer as a trial for our first time - we planted very late, and it was very hot by then. Our tomatoes never grew anything except flowers. The jalapenos didn't grow anything until recently - the last two weeks or so we have a ton growing. The basil did great the whole time.

What did we do wrong on the tomatoes? Was is just too hot?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DFW_Gardener(7b)

I've had good luck with growing peas over the fall-winter season.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 12:06PM
weldontx(z 8a TX)

Plant NOW: kale, chard, lettuce, spinach. If the kids curl their noses at kale, try kale chips. IF the winter is not too harsh, these will grow mos,t if not all, winter. If your soil is this black clay, try amending with a good quality compost.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 12:21PM
ccabal(7)

I just sowed some additional turnips and collards a couple weeks ago. I might sow some cabbage too this weekend. I have lettuce and turnips growing which I sowed in early Sept. and they are doing very well.
I would also throw in peas as suggested, although it depends on how early we have a hard freeze. If it gets into the 20s by early Dec. they will probably not make it and you might not get anything.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:43AM
scavengingangel

What variety of kale do y'all like? I've just learned to make Kale chips and would like to plant some as well if it's not too late. Does it grow from seeds or should I look for seedlings this time of year?

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 7:19PM
weldontx(z 8a TX)

scavenging, In think that any kale will do fine. Mine is an heirloom type, but just find some off a seed rack and get them in the ground. They need to get started quickly in case
we have a really cold spell before mid Dec.
If anyone wants to try heirloom seeds, I've had good luck with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. seeds@rareseeds.com

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:23PM
mswillis5

Sorry for the bad picture. Here is what I am growing in the DFW area.

Kale
Broccoli
Giant Lullcus Chard
Fordhook Chard
Variety of Beets
Carrots
Lettuce
Leeks
Green Onions

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 7:50AM
alameda/zone 8

Mustard greens grow well and are great with homemade vinegar pepper sauce! They grow well for me all winter.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 1:41PM
scavengingangel

Awesome, I'll look for some tomorrow! I saw decorative/landscaping Kale babies at Big Orange and wondered if it mattered, I've read some taste better than others but not which. Do they interplant with strawberries ok if I plan to eat/pull them before the strawberries fill in? I have strawberry plugs in 1.5' squares, maybe plant a Kale in each intersecting corner? Or am I asking for pest problems? I had little worms like crazy last time I planted cabbage/broccolis.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 9:40PM
mswillis5

I had some caterpillars working my broccoli before I pulled out the BT spray and used it on all of the greens. Haven't seen them since I did that.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 9:47PM
optimistique(8a)

This is my second year gardening in the fall in DFW. This last cool snap has probably helped cool the soil enough to direct seed some crops now: broccoli, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, collards, lettuce.

However, I would also purchase some seedlings at Home Depot or Lowes of any crops that I hope to harvest before Thanksgiving. This is because the shorter, cooler days make for very slow growing conditions and things direct seeded now, may simply overwinter until spring.

You can also plant garlic now, but know that it will not be ready until May-ish, so plant it somewhere you won't need until after that.

You can check out my blog from last fall and this fall to see what worked/didn't for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardening Blog

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 10:11PM
DFW_Gardener(7b)

Sowed some Kale, hopefully it will grow well.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 2:37PM
DFW_Gardener(7b)
    Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Gomphrena globosa 'Fireworks' not an annual
Who else grows 'Fireworks' globe amaranth? It's listed...
briaustex 8b
big box store "sale rack"
ran into a great deal on dianthus and phlox, all past...
ingridjill
ravencajun, about your security cameras
I asked on the plant thieves thread where you posted...
marti8a
Plant thieves
Have any of you encountered plants being stolen right...
texaskittysa
Texas Superstars - Hibiscus
All large plant nurseries, Lowes, HomeDepot, etc dont...
z36r
Sponsored Products
Imperial Dress Porcelain Garden Path 18-Inch Square Button Tufted Pillow
$29.99 | Bellacor
Sunflower Metal Garden D├ęcor
$19.99 | zulily
Normandy grey rattan knitting basket
Origin Crafts
6'W x 18'L Treated Pine Hawthorne Bridge
Fifthroom.com
Ornate Bloom Doorbell
Signature Hardware