Tomato ripening and high temperatures

mihaip123(6)August 10, 2014

Hello fellow gardeners !

I've just read that when temperatures are above 86 Fahrenheit, tomatoes stop ripening.

Here is my dilemma : most of my fruits are green, and 2 of them are pink. In the past week and next 2-3 weeks temperatures were/will be 95 degrees.

What should I do to get them to ripen ? I can't do anything about weather, maybe I can do something with the plants?

Should I put them to shade, out of direct sunlight ?

I'd hate to wait until end of August until they start ripening again (or they die of some sort of disease)

Thank you !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I dont think that temps 86 to 95F are critically high temperatures for tomatoes. Even if they were, the thing to remember is that 95F high reported/forecast lasts just a few hours in 24 hours. I can estimate that within 24 hours period, when the high reaches 95F that no more than 6 hours the temps will be in 86F to 95F range. In the remaining 18 hours the temps will be lower than 86F. You can verify this by checking your hourly temperatures.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

Don't agree with the ripening statement b/c I notice oodles of my tomatoes ripening in my greenhouses when temperatures are very high. However, when temperatures are very high they don't set fruit as well ( variety dependent) and the stress on the plants leads to more Blossem End Rot (variety dependent). What I have predicted very well is a lag in production 50-60 days after a period of very high temperatures.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™