Tree reccomendations for specific sized area in South Texas

haylotx85October 6, 2011

Hello!

I was wanting to get some input for what kind of trees would be good for a new bed.

In my backyard (we have a wrap around garage) most of the area is concreted in. I recently had some of the concrete removed along the fence, approximately 24'x 3 1/2'. There used to be a huge ash tree but it recently was taken down in a storm, I also used to have really tall chaflera (sp?) trees that were killed in a freeze last winter and now I have not a single tree in the back yard and I am wanting to plant some nice trees in this new area. What trees would you recommend for a bed of this size? The bed backs up to a fence. I am looking for some height and shade would be nice too but I don't think a really large canopy would be a good idea because I am looking at plant several trees in this area. Possibly one tree with a larger canopy along with several other small canopied trees? What are you envisioning? I am in Portland, Texas which is right next to Corpus Christi. Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ExoticRGVNativesTy(10a TX)

Texas Lignum-vitae might work in that size of bed. It is slow growing but eventually produces beautiful purple flowers and red seeds. I would recommend Texas Olive and Texas Persimmon but am afraid fruit drop might become a problem in your location.
Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Guajacum angustifolium @ LBJWC

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 6:07PM
haylotx85

This is the hackberry tree that we had :( and another picture of the removed concrete.

The new bed is essentially a continuation of this bed along the fence and the other side of the parallel fence. This may help you see the size a little easier.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 1:11PM
haylotx85

Ideas...the wheels are a turning! I was thinking of a palm, would that be weird mixed in with crepe myrtle?

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 1:38PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Palms and CM's are both tropical looking to me so it works. I favor flowering trees myself. Vitex,native olive, anacho(?) (orchid?) tree, tx mountain laurel (unless it's too warm there). Personally, if I lived that far south I'd have a yard full of Jacarandas despite thier messy habits.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™