Tree reccomendations for specific sized area in South Texas

haylotx85October 6, 2011

Hello!

I was wanting to get some input for what kind of trees would be good for a new bed.

In my backyard (we have a wrap around garage) most of the area is concreted in. I recently had some of the concrete removed along the fence, approximately 24'x 3 1/2'. There used to be a huge ash tree but it recently was taken down in a storm, I also used to have really tall chaflera (sp?) trees that were killed in a freeze last winter and now I have not a single tree in the back yard and I am wanting to plant some nice trees in this new area. What trees would you recommend for a bed of this size? The bed backs up to a fence. I am looking for some height and shade would be nice too but I don't think a really large canopy would be a good idea because I am looking at plant several trees in this area. Possibly one tree with a larger canopy along with several other small canopied trees? What are you envisioning? I am in Portland, Texas which is right next to Corpus Christi. Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ExoticRGVNativesTy(10a TX)

Texas Lignum-vitae might work in that size of bed. It is slow growing but eventually produces beautiful purple flowers and red seeds. I would recommend Texas Olive and Texas Persimmon but am afraid fruit drop might become a problem in your location.
Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Guajacum angustifolium @ LBJWC

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 6:07PM
haylotx85

This is the hackberry tree that we had :( and another picture of the removed concrete.

The new bed is essentially a continuation of this bed along the fence and the other side of the parallel fence. This may help you see the size a little easier.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 1:11PM
haylotx85

Ideas...the wheels are a turning! I was thinking of a palm, would that be weird mixed in with crepe myrtle?

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 1:38PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Palms and CM's are both tropical looking to me so it works. I favor flowering trees myself. Vitex,native olive, anacho(?) (orchid?) tree, tx mountain laurel (unless it's too warm there). Personally, if I lived that far south I'd have a yard full of Jacarandas despite thier messy habits.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
I have 1 1/2 acres to landscape with trees and shrubs help!
My yard is near a park where there are lots of deer...
johnfam
Tree identification
Just bought a house in San antonio and have no idea...
Diana Ortega
What is this plant?
Need help identifying this plant. It is growing in...
stephendbrown
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™