Fall Tomatoes

jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)August 30, 2011

I started a fall tomato patch, ok really late fall, but since they are in one of my high tunnels, I should be able to keep them going until Thanksgiving.

Then I am trialing some new cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets. I found some new seed options and wanted to try them out. Rambling Gold Stripe, Rambling Red Stripe, Pear Drops and Tumbling Tiger. These were from Swallowtail Seeds. I just checked out their site and now they have many more options.

I have been growing and selling these hanging baskets for 4 years, but now I am thinking I could also just grow, pick and sell the tomatoes in addition to my regular cherry tomatoes.

I have had these hanging baskets for 4 years now. Just empty out, wash and reuse. Fill with Al's mix, plant and water. Very simple and you can harvest standing up!

Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi Jay

Your fall tomatoes look really good!
I planted last season Tumbling Tiger from the same source and I really like their size, looks and taste. I planted them again for my fall tomatoes which are all outside already.

Tumbling Tiger last season

And I planted them again for the fall season

Silvia

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 4:49PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Silvia,

Are the tumbling tiger almost a black tomato with stripes?

Jay

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 2:00AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Jay, yes I was wondering about that too. It has green and red stripes, sort of elongated shape and they are bigger than a cherry. I got a lot of tomatoes out of only 1 plant, this season I planted few, 2 for me and others for friends. I am sure that it will be a big seller at the market, they do look good in salads.
I will be waiting on your review of the other tomatoes to see if they are worth growing them.

Silvia

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 1:30PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

I am glad to hear the size is bigger than a cherry. I am hoping these will be a nice addition to our late fall/early winter salads. If they are really good and staying productive, we planned to move a few (Maybe 10-20) baskets into a south facing room with all windows and keep them going all winter long. We did that several years ago with one basket.

Jay

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™