Black Sea Man (BSM)...Indeterminate???

Cdon(7a)August 9, 2012

I am growing my first BSM this year from a seedling I got from Tomatomania (basically a travelling road show of heirlooms on the east & west coasts).

The plant was labeled as a determinate, and did set fruit like one, most of which ripened in the last 2-3 weeks.

However, as I was searching for other ripe stragglers that I missed, I noticed quite a few branches had some fairly vigorous, healthy looking growth & blooms, some of which is setting new fruit right now.

My question thus, is, is this normal/ are all BSM plants determinate? I grew a few patio and other determinates in years past, and yeah, there would be a bit of wispy new growth after the first flush of fruit ripened, but nothing like this.

Is there such a thing as an indeterminate BSM? I am kinda wondering if BSM is anything like Rutgers where some are sold as determinate and others as indeterminate. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

FAIK BSM is determinate only. However, growing conditions provided and weather permitting, many determinates will sprout new lateral growth and even produce a small 2nd crop. That sounds like what you are describing.

Dave

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™