Tomatoe holes

brian_ouimet(5 Ont)August 31, 2013

Any one know what is eating little holes in my tomatoes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

usually caused by birds , try putting water dishes out for them

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 10:45PM
Bulldog74(8)

Birds doing the damage -- typically Cardinals. Had this problem for three years, tried netting, killing the birds, but finally learned the trick of training them to leave my tomatoes alone. Go to Walmart the week after christmas and buy red christmas tree balls, several packages typically for $1/pack. When your tomatoes put on small green tomatoes hang the red balls on your plants randomly. The birds will peck the red balls an learn that red in your garden is not edible, thus when your tomatoes turn red they will leave them alone. As a caution, pick at color break and ripen indoors.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 12:04AM
Bulldog74(8)

Birds doing the damage -- typically Cardinals. Had this problem for three years, tried netting, killing the birds, but finally learned the trick of training them to leave my tomatoes alone. Go to Walmart the week after christmas and buy red christmas tree balls, several packages typically for $1/pack. When your tomatoes put on small green tomatoes hang the red balls on your plants randomly. The birds will peck the red balls an learn that red in your garden is not edible, thus when your tomatoes turn red they will leave them alone. As a caution, pick at color break and ripen indoors.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 12:06AM
barrie2m_

Don't rule out the Tomato Fruitworm. This is the same insect as the corn earworm that also can cause havoc to tomatoes and the timing of your post suggests the possibility of Fruitworm populations in your area. Usually you will see expanding damage and even surface worms as the infestation expands. You'll wish you had birds.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:23AM
twolips(z6AZ)

I love the red ornament idea, I'm going to try that one. What about that thin shiny bird tape, has anyone tried that?

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 10:12AM
tomatomike(z7NC)

I see this damage (it is a bird because it is a puncture, not eaten) from several types of birds. I find they do this most in times of drought and once they know that red means water, it becomes their target. I am going to try the red ornament idea this year. We used netting with success last year, but it is difficult because of the plants growing though it. I resorted to picking my tomatoes at late blush before they got poked. You can cut out the puncture and eat the tomato, but if it is not ripe, it will rot before it matures. Don't pick it off either, because they will return to it. Otherwise, they will find a new target fruit.

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 6:15PM
emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)

Has anyone found that squirrels fall for the ornament trick?

~emmers

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 10:23AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Just put some water in the shade underneath the tomato plants. I did that last year and no more birds pecking on my tomatoes after that.
Of course, another idea is just to have a nice bird bath. You will have a lot of birds visiting you garden. The may also eat some slugs , caterpillars, etc.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 2:40AM
yardenman(z7 MD)

I won't eat it...

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 4:59AM
More Discussions
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Turbo-Tomato Mulch (Red Plastic) From Gurneys
First time poster here. I wonder if anybody has used...
andrew_swmo
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Sponsored Products
Wyndham Collection Zen II Espresso 30-inch Single Bathroom Vanity Set
Overstock.com
Thermocast Kitchen Cambridge Drop-in Acrylic 33x22x10.5 4-Hole Double Bowl
Home Depot
Bobbin Satin Nickel One-Light Table Lamp with Red Shade
$63.95 | Bellacor
Buckley Credenza - Black Wood Black
Joybird Furniture
Bridge 5-1/4 inch Stainless Steel Finish Cabinet Bar Pull Handle
eModern Decor