"Black Diamond" Crape myrle

Xtal(z8b Temple. TX)October 6, 2012

Just saw the "Black Diamond" crape myrtle at Home Depot. WOW! Black leaves. It's breathtaking. Stop by and take a look if you can. It will make you weak in the knees.

Xtal

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Wow -- that's really beautiful! Love that dark foliage. I bet it's going to be very popular.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crape Myrtle Black Diamond

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 8:44PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It won't be "rare" for long.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 8:53PM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

My next door neighbor planted 2 about 3 weeks ago. Can't wait to see if the leaves stay dark. Wonder how long they trialed it before they put it on the market.

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 9:14AM
Xtal(z8b Temple. TX)

It might be worthwhile to do some homework on that question Debndal. My guess is that black they'll stay.

In Temple at the Home Depot is where I found an entire display. While it might not be 'rare' for long, there's no doubt that it will take a while before you'll see them all over the market.

Worth seeing in person. You might even call your local HD to see if they have any. LMK whachathink after you see them.

Xtal

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 9:28AM
Xtal(z8b Temple. TX)

It might be worthwhile to do some homework on that question Debndal. My guess is that black they'll stay.

In Temple at the Home Depot is where I found an entire display. While it might not be 'rare' for long, there's no doubt that it will take a while before you'll see them all over the market.

Worth seeing in person. You might even call your local HD to see if they have any. LMK whachathink after you see them.

Xtal

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 9:29AM
cynthianovak

I saw them at Calloways in Arlington today. They have stunning foliage.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 12:38AM
weldontx(z 8a TX)

I've gotta have one of these!!!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 3:05PM
GrackleNDirt(8a)

I bought a Black Diamond from Calloway's over the Labor Day weekend. So far it is still looking good as the day I bought it. It has continued to bloom without so much as a whimper from transplanting. I've even neglected the traditional watering regimen for the first month (only once a week or more dousing).

As mentioned above, I only had to put my eyes on it once before I became week-kneed enough to put my previous planned purchase back on the shelf. For the roecord, my wife abundantly approved and has been swooning since the purchase date.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 3:13PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

My goodness, with all this weak-kneed swooning going on I'll have to make an effort to see one -- right after pay day ;-)

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 3:46PM
Xtal(z8b Temple. TX)

GrackleNDirt,
Judging by the few blooms that I saw on them in the pot, they must be late summer bloomers. Wouldn't you agree?

Even though I began the posting, this might force me to go get one. It will be a long while before you see many around town.
Xtal

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 4:16PM
mistiaggie(z9A Tx)

we've been noticing them too...don't need one right now but I am sure tempted!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 4:35PM
GrackleNDirt(8a)

The card said they bloom all season like the more common crapes. I am anxious to see what happens when the black (deep purple, really) leaves come off for the winter. I wonder if they change color or go brown or stay blackish?

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Is planting Leyland cypress a mistake?
I planted 2 Leyland cypress plants in my back yard...
ritholtz47
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
Pairing flowering plants for new bed zone9a
I am turning this 13x5 space into a flower bed and...
johnfam
going to austin but can't spend all time nursery hopping...
...as much as I'd like to, ha ha. Would like to know...
vossner
Spring spots on Oleander Leaves
Hello Garden Forum.. I have an Oleander that has emerged...
rrtxgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™