Skins Split from so much rain!

jenniedhsAugust 26, 2008

I am having a bumper crop of Super Sonic tomatoes with many more on the vines waiting to be picked. It has been a dry August and I watered the garden deeply once a week. The last two days we have gotten lots of rain. It was a welcome relief until I went out to my garden and most of the tomatoes which were almost ripe had splits in the skin. Will these splits heal, or should I pick all of these now?

I didn't know too much moisture would cause splits in the skin like this!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

The last two days we have gotten lots of rain. It was a welcome relief until I went out to my garden and most of the tomatoes which were almost ripe had splits in the skin. Will these splits heal, or should I pick all of these now?
I didn't know too much moisture would cause splits in the skin like this!

There are three kinds of splitting, concentric and radial which occur at the stem end, and horizontal which occurs elsewhere.

I've grown Supersonic and it isn't prone to either radial or concentric splitting in my experience so I'm assuming the splits run up and down or around the fruits.

The splits of concentric and radial heal over pretty well but not the ones caused by too much water intake when the tomato skin is at its maximum and can no longer enlarge, which causes the splits.

if I were you I'd pick them now and keep them on the counter out of the sun and see how they do. They may heal over or not, but you should get some useful fruits.

Carolyn

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 6:21PM
jenniedhs

Thanks Carolyn! Yes the splits run up and down the fruits. The skin on Super Sonics are very thin, but I love the flavor for slicing. They seem to be the only variety that was affected. But there were also more "almost ready to pick" ones on the super sonics than my other varieties. I will take your advice and pick them and see if they will ripen more on the counter.

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 7:16PM
shyflowers

We have had really tropical type weather here, lots and lots of rain. I grow only small tomatoes, cherry and grape and they are all splitting because we have had so much rain.

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Tomato clips
I'm thinking of using tomato clips this year. Tying...
carriehelene
Critique Varieties please for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Sponsored Products
Wrinkle Resistant Sheet Set
Grandin Road
NuFACE Gel Primer
$19.00 | FRONTGATE
Hampton Bay Lamps Galliano 43 in. 1-Light Aged Silver Table Lamp with Off White
Home Depot
FiberBuilt Lucaya 11-ft. Aluminum Contract Patio Umbrella - 11LUCAYA-4637-WHITE
$639.98 | Hayneedle
International Caravan Aluminum 10-foot Patio Umbrella
Overstock.com