Yellow Brandywine - is this catface?

tlchristensenAugust 6, 2011

Hello all,

This is my second year growing tomatoes, last year we had excellent plants but poor weather, causing a massive amount of flowers to be aborted on all of our plants. This year the weather has been much better, we built raised beds (and put in great soil), and I have been more hands on with the garden as a whole. I am growing 6 tomato varieties, two types of cherries, jaune flamme, black ethiopian, big beef and yellow brandywine. I pulled side shoots on all the plants until above the first fruit set, since then I've let 3-4 side shoots per plant go. All the tomatoes are doing very well, with very heavy flowering, great fruit set and almost no dropped flowers. The one problem I am having is with the yellow brandywine. Every tomato that has formed has cracked open in a non-symmetric pattern on the blossom end, always on the blossom end and not a single tomato has been spared. Only one tomato on the jaune flamme (the first flowering branch, which only had one flower has a distorted tomato that is somewhat split on the blossom end) has similar problems, all the other fruits (which there are A LOT of) are doing great. Below is an image...I hope someone has some idea of what is going on here. I would hate to lose all the brandywines as the few I got last year were some of the best tomatoes I've ever had. Thanks in advance and please let me know if you would like any more information.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tlchristensen

I should also mention that these tomatoes sat out overnight after being cut off the vine. The bruising you see on the sides was not there when they were still on the vine...so I would assume it should be ignored as a symptom.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 6:58PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes, it is catfacing.

Dave

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 7:00PM
tlchristensen

Any suggestion of how to fix the problem? I am in Portland, OR and we have been having great weather, I have been watering consistently with soaker hoses, no sign of excess nitrogen, etc....

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 9:50PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

For the most part catfacing is beyond our control although some varieties are more prone than others. It is primarily related to too cool air temps at the time of pollination.

Air temps in the vicinity of the bloom that are near 50 degrees inhibits complete pollination and part of the fruit develops but part doesn't.

Not much you can do but wait for later fruit.

Dave

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
Has Anybody Grown This Tomato ?
I was in HD looking for Big Beef seeds. But they did...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Show Your Seedlings -2015
Lets share some pictures of our seedlings. Here is...
seysonn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™