Overwintering cuttings

knightfarms_6a(6a)August 14, 2010

I have had great success growing my tomato plants from seed this year, but I would love to take cuttings from some of the plants and overwinter them.

Will they need growing lights over them, or can they just hang out in the basement with the ceiling fluorescent lights like the other annuals?

I usually keep my hot peppers in a perlite, peat, bark fine mix, AL's, think that will work for the tomato plants?

Any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

-Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Your mix will work fine for tomato plants and if peppers are happy under your fluorescents then the tomatoes should do fine. You will have to continue rooting cuttings all winter to keep them small. You might try keeping a larger plant cut back and let it produce multiple shoots for rooting later.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 8:50PM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

Wow, interesting idea!

I thought toms and peppers were shot after 1 season.....are they perennial in mild climates?

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 11:24AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I know of a couple of plants that were kept alive almost 2 years inside. They eventually got root bound and too big to transplant and cuttings were taken from them. They lived on to produce but not sure how long as I lost touch with the person growing them. AFAIK peppers are the same way.

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 12:21PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Last year I had one jalapeno I didn't plant out. Brought it in and put it in the garden window where it produced one pepper in Sept. Because the plant was still green I kept it and watered occasionally. This April, it produced a few tiny peppers. I was stunned because I thought they were annuals, but apparently can be kept going for at least a year.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
How long for seeds to germinate?
Had a few hard to get seeds this year that have not...
anthony_toronto
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™