Soft tomatoes

sharonrossyAugust 3, 2012

I think my tomatoes are getting too soft too quickly. I picked a couple that were turning pink and brought them inside. They're not completely ripe but they feel too soft. What's the problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

You waited too long to pick them. Go by feel not color. Or do as some and pick early and let ripen on the counter where you can check them each day.
Some actually prefer them softer.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 9:43PM
sjetski(6b NJ)

Results will also vary by tomato type and growing conditions.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 9:34AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Sharonie, too soft as compared with what other varieties you've grown?

And which variety are you referring to when you say the fruits are too soft?

Almost all fruits are on the hard side until they've ripened up almost all the way.

The only type I know of that are truly soft fleshed are the gold/red bicolors and even then they don't have the soft flesh so characteristic of them until they are just about ripe. The flesh is so soft that it isn't uncommon to see seeds germinating inside the tomatoes and from time to time someone will put up a picture here and say, what the heck is this. LOL

Carolyn

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:47AM
sharonrossy

Hi Carolyn, so this is my first time growing Better boy and Japanese Black Trifele. I brought a couple of them inside as they started showing the blush and both had the beginnings of cracking on the shoulders. Maybe I just expected to stay firmer as they ripened. The JBT was very juicy and I haven't cut into the BB yet.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:47PM
ncrealestateguy

Some of my earlier tomatoes did the same thing this year... something that I have never seen before. Some of my Brandywines, Big Rainbows, Persimmon and Purple Cherokee had this problem. Parts of the flesh towards the middle of the fruit were too soft to eat. Almost mushy and partially disintegrated And they were just barely ripe. Later in the season, it disappeared. I live in Charlotte, NC.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:43PM
sharonrossy

I'm not planting in the same place, that's what's so strange. Mostly in large containers and the growing medium is changed every year completely.imthinking that it might be just the frost few tomatoes.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™