Moving tomatoes inside

elight(9b)August 27, 2011

Another hurricane-related tomato post! I live in the lower Hudson Valley, and it looks like we'll certainly be getting enough rain and wind to devastate my plants. This morning, I took the drastic measure of moving my tomato plant and my pepper plant, both in SWCs, indoors.

Hopefully I can put them back out late tomorrow night. Will they be OK spending two days indoors? Is there anything I can do to help them make it through?

Stay dry and be safe!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

If you have fluorescent lighting in your house anywhere, that would be the best place to put them - under fluorescent light. I believe fluorescent lights have a better spectrum for plants than incandescent bulbs. Some fluorescent lights have a better spectrum than others, but in general, I think they are better than incandescent lights for plants.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 9:39PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Or a really sunny location inside. You did the right thing bringing them inside. I don't think much harm would come to them even with dim light.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 10:47PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

They never recover well if kept in dim light for more than 2 days. Any fluorescent light is preferable if you have it, but get them back outside as quickly as possible.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 9:01AM
zzackey(8b GA)

Sorry! I'm thinking of my experiences with houseplants.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 4:47PM
elight(9b)

Thanks for your comments, everyone. It stopped raining around 11am (instead of the projected 9 pm) so I was able to get them outside for the afternoon, and they even saw quite a bit of sunlight. Of course moving a 8-9' plant inside by myself was difficult and the top of the main stem got got bent back... Hopefully it won't die.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
fertilizer recipe for tomatoes?
First I found something in the local hardware store...
kawaiineko_gardener
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™