How do you fertilize winter-blooming annuals?

jardineratxNovember 21, 2012

I have planted a couple of beds with dianthus, stock, snapdragons, lobelia and pansies and swiss chard for winter and early spring bloom. I have done this for many years, but I've never fertilized these annuals until february/march since I mostly planted for the spring bloom. This year, however, I want winter color and since the winter temps in my area are mild, I imagine fertilizing them should be OK and should provide blooms during December, January and February? Any suggestions?

Molly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Hi Molly! I read to fertilize winter blooming annuals with blood meal because it supplies long lasting nitrogen through the winter and that is what I used to do. More recently I've used a pelleted slow release fertilizer. However, I've read where some pelleted slow release fertilizers work with the amount of water they receive and that others work according to warmth. The warmer it is the more fertilizer they release. I don't know how to tell which one I'm using. water releasing or heat, but it does seem to work.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Please name this succulent.
Bought from Lowes sale rack and it just had a generic...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™