Is Berkeley Tie Dye a stable tomato?

bart1(6/7 Northern VA)August 9, 2011

I've been growing Berkeley Tie Dye for 4 years and it's always ended up looking wonderfully weird and multicolored. This year it ended up looking like red and yellow bi-color ala Lucky Cross or Virginia Sweets.

So did my Berkeley Tie Dye mutate on its own or did I somehow mix up my plants and end up planting an extra bi-color instead of the Tie Dye?

Thanks!

Bart

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulio

If you do not see the striping, which for the most part is a recessive trait and should be "locked", then could be a cross or more likely an errant seed/plant mix up.

There should be some evidence that it's been crossed because the striping trait is not completely recessive. Careful inspection of the skin in good light will show faint or partial striping. This would indicate that the genes are heterozygous which would mean it crossed last year.

I would not assume it is a mutation. People assume mutations over "mistakes" far too often. Seed mistakes or plant switches (human errors) are far more common.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 11:30AM
bart1(6/7 Northern VA)

Thanks! It looks very, very similar to a couple other bicolors that I'm growing so operator error is likely the cause. I always thought I was pretty careful with my labels but I guess I need to be even more careful.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 7:29PM
mulio

even when you are very careful, stuff happens

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™