Too small tomatoes

ybindsNovember 7, 2013

I have too many tomatoes on almost 8 plants and none of them are any closer to big in size. All are pretty tiny and with the temperatures dropping, should I go ahead pull the trees out or should I wait for few more days and try my luck to get atleast few batch of big tomatoes (if they ever turn big). This is my first year of growing tomatoes. I had good yield of okra and cucumbers (melon variety, they are also green, waiting for them to turn yellow as well). Any suggestions please. Any idea if they would grow into bigger size. My tomato plants are semi determinate and I have almost 8 of this variety plants. I live in san antonio, tx. I was happy to see so many on the tree, but none of them are growing into bigger size. Please advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andbowen(7b/8a DFW TX)

Once the temps start dropping below 50, your chances of getting ripe tomatoes drop dramatically. You can leave them in the ground as long as the weater allows, but be sure to cover them if it drops below 40. If temps are projected to be under 32, your best bet is to harvest them with as much of the vine still attached as possible, and place them in a sunny window to ripen. They will only turn red if there is already a slight blush of color. If they are all completely green still, just make pickled green tomato relish or fried green tomatoes. Next season, try pinching out the suckers on your plant once it gets over 2 feet tall. This will allow the plant to put its energy into fruit production instead of foliage.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
going to austin but can't spend all time nursery hopping...
...as much as I'd like to, ha ha. Would like to know...
vossner
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
Texas Superstars - Hibiscus
All large plant nurseries, Lowes, HomeDepot, etc dont...
z36r
Pros/Cons of bush germander?
Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences...
bostedo
Does esperanza come out late?
Mine still shows no green at all. I bought it at Lowes...
marti8a
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting Kube Bronze Incandescent Outdoor Wall Light
$359.00 | LuxeDecor
Turquoise Metallic Anya Table Lamp with Twist Trim
Lamps Plus
Hinkley Lighting Monticello Copper Bronze Outdoor Post Light
$109.00 | LuxeDecor
ClosetMaid Lighting Hardware ShelfTrack 30 in. Nickel Standard Bracket 32801
$6.48 | Home Depot
Carson 44 in. Sonnet Wind Chimes - God Has You - 60259
$54.99 | Hayneedle