foundation work today!

piksi_hk(9)November 5, 2012

Ok, they just ripped out the bushes...wax leaf ligistrum,

the typical shrubs planted in 80's. Should I try to save them and replant or just start over. These were in the front of the house east facing. DH says if I wanted to save them (they will have to last for 1 week), that's fine.

How do I do that? or just replant with other plants.

I need help in deciding what to do...the cost of replanting, etc. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

if you have some large pots or empty garden space, just plant them in temporarily, and water. maybe prune them a little if they lost a lot of roots. they should survive.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 1:11AM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

I'd start over with new plants. Nothing like an updated planting to really spruce up th front of the house. If you have the typical moustache type planting, I'd use several different plants to make it more interesting. But I always like an excuse to periodically change the landscaping around the house. I'm an avid (rabid) gardener.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 8:55AM
melvalena

If you want to save them, get them in the shade and keep them damp, not soaking wet.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 12:07PM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

Honestly, I'd start all over with new plants. The bushes you had were old, and current design guidelines are different now. Honestly, I'd clear a large swath of the yard away from the house and plant a xeriscape or natural bed around the foundation. I may be wrong, but, I'm thinking that if you can get the foundation to settle at a natural level, with plants that don't change that as "foundation plantings", then you won't have to bring the foundation guys back out.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:23PM
piksi_hk(9)

Well, they are gone...the foundation guy said they were mature plants (20 yrs) and would not survive replanting. So DH said we could replant with new plants!

So the question is which plants? I would definitely add more color. The front is south facing so it gets very hot.

Any suggestions?

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™