Tomatoes that grow around walnut trees

deanriowa(4b)August 12, 2007

I heard that tomatoes do not like walnut trees. Are there any tomatoes that will grow around walnut trees?

Dean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardenman(z7 MD)

If it is a black walnut tree, there is a toxicity concern. Black walnut trees produce a toxic material that can injure or kill tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant. I doubt that any varieties are safe from it.

If you can't get any safe distance from black walnuts (I would guess 50-100% further than the tree drip line), you might consider a raised bed (and I mean raised right off the ground) as in a really deep solid box above ground.

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 11:29PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree - black walnut trees are toxic to most plants but especially to the tomato/potato family. Link below provides details on the reasons as well as a list of a few flower/fruit plants that are walnut tolerant.

"The toxic zone from a mature tree occurs on average in a 50 to 60 foot radius from the trunk, but can be up to 80 feet. The area affected extends outward each year as a tree enlarges. Young trees two to eight feet high can have a root diameter twice the height of the top of the tree, with susceptible plants dead within the root zone and dying at the margins."

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Walnut Toxicity

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 8:41AM
kterlep(5/6)

I have two very large walnut trees in my back yard. I built an elaborate raised bed to put my tomatoes in.

Then I realized that nightshade grows gangbusters in my backyard...if nightshade lives, tomatoes should too.

*sigh*

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 5:12PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

Is anything growing there right now?

I too, read that after I planted my garden. Brought a leaf, branch, & nut to the aggie. Turns out what I was calling a walnut tree is a hickory tree. When I was a kid, that's what we called them.

Just an fyi...
Gumby_CT

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 12:05AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

From what I have read it is black walnuts that are the most problem. Although I have also read that some other varieties of walnut have some black grafted on them. But if not a black and if no grafting then perhaps there is less problem. *shrugs* ;)

Best to just avoid the area if possible or as the article linked above suggest - use raised beds.

Dave

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 12:19AM
shelbyguy(z5 IL)

I thought this was an old wive's tale until i tried it myself. Eggplant and peppers dont seem to care, but whatever is in the soil prevented me from getting any real yield out of my in-the-ground tomato plants. they took off like crazy and then caught some sort of mystery wilt. The black walnut tree in the yard is about 65 years old. A wonderful tree otherwise, but I can't grow tmaters over there...

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 5:03PM
deanriowa(4b)

I have flowers, peppers and 2 tomatoes planted there, nothing seems to care but the tomatoes. Just as shelbyguy said they started out great then they caught a mystery wilt and I get almost no production.

Dean

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™