AeroGardening?

taxtaxAugust 2, 2011

I don't mind trying out new things now and then to learn something new. I recently discovered this, and am deciding to give it a try, though by the reviews so far I'm not expecting much:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/GreenhousesIndoorGardening/AeroGarden/PRD~0430609P/AeroGarden%252BCherry%252BTomatoes%252BSeed%252BKit.jsp?locale=en#product_aa

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this product before, or has something obvious to say about it. I haven't planted tomatos in so many years I feel like a virgin again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

The tomato seed kit is $20.00 Thats for a few seeds and planting mix.
Do you realize the AeroGarden grow pod (used to grow them in ) is another $150.00
Seems very costly for a few tiny toms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aerogarden grow pod

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 11:13PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Check out the Hydroponics forum here. The search pulls up lots of discussions about it there.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: AeroGarden discussions

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:33AM
taxtax

Thanks guys, I'll check out those forums. I did realize last night after further reading the Pods do cost 200 and even more. I agree it seems to be an outright scam that simple seeds cost 20$, not to mention any other piece of plastic or paper accessory for this item seems to be charging downright criminal charges for it.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 11:55AM
regaldozer(6A)

think about the person that lives in an apartment building in a major city with the addiction to growing and no land to do so. For this person it makes sense.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 2:54PM
terrybull

so does an earthbox and a grow light. for half the cost and more productive.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 5:23PM
suncitylinda

Terrybull - Have you grown winter toms inside in an EB? Thanks, LInda

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 11:25PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

I am just saying $200 is alot for what I am sure is not a whole lot of tomatoes .
You'd be better off buying canned toms,which I think taste much better than the junk from the produce dept.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 7:17AM
tommyr_gw

The Aerogrow people raised their prices recently and really made a LOT of people angry. Their business model sucks. I do have a few AG3's but Don't waste your time on them. Use an Earthbox of similar unit and florescent shop lights.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 1:19PM
taxtax

If they raised prices I guess that means it's a good time to invest in their stock :P

I still can't figure out, how the HELL do they get off charging 20$ for just a pack of seeds? I can't figure that one out. So, to someone who has gone through this system, what am I missing? Are these special biotechnologically engineered seeds with gold plating or what?

And IIRC, you don't even get the seeds when buying the damn Pod for 230$, haha. Looks like they really know how to MILK this product for every dime.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 2:15PM
springlift34

Once again, I like the way tax talks.

Take care,
Travis

and also, dont forget to understand exactly what you put on the tree. Dont believe the florist when she tells you that the roses are free.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
How long for seeds to germinate?
Had a few hard to get seeds this year that have not...
anthony_toronto
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™