oleander Society

mickeyperreaud(z9AZ)November 11, 2012

Does anyone know of any members of the Oleander Society or someone that is growing oleander as a hobby?

Regards,

Mickey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Jim Potts, is your guy. He lives in Aransas Pass Tx. He has been growing oleanders, and developing new plants for the past 6 years. He use to post regular on this forum, I understand that he has been only growing oleanders under the guidance of Mr Turner. Mr Turner has turned over his nursery to his daughter. If I were you I would call Turners Nursery in Corpus Christi, and speak to his daughter she is a book of knowledge. Every Oleander I buy from Lowes has on the pot grown Turner Nursery. Barbra

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:57AM
beachplant(9b)

I live in Galveston, aka the Oleander City. I am a member of the local oleander society and grow oleanders in my yard.
What do you want to know?
I never buy oleanders, they grow like weeds from cuttings.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 7:09PM
mickeyperreaud(z9AZ)

Beachplants,
Hi, I am so glad to finally be getting a hold of other members of the oleander society!!!
I live in Arizona and it is impossible to get any named oleander.
I am trying to upgrade my collection.
I got to talk to Jim in Connecticut and received a wealth of knowledge!
I'm looking for cuttings to buy but now is the wrong time of the year. I hope to be able to make it this spring to the oleander festival if I can get my husband to do it.
Thank you for getting back to me. I have tried so heard to get my gardening friends here to get growing names oleander. It's always nice to give someone a lovely tree. Doubles are my favorites but the old oleander are so interesting too.
Regards,
Mickey Perreaud
Cave Creek Arizona

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 5:03PM
beachplant(9b)

I will mail you all the cuttings you want in the spring. They grow everywhere here. I`ll dig out my Oleander book and drive around town and take cuttings, most of the pics are here on the island. Any particular color? double blooms? Variegated?
They are super, super easy from cuttings and there are hundreds of varieties on the island. Not to mention all the hybrids as the seeds drift and sprout like crazy too.
Remind me once bloom season starts. There is no reason to pay a lot of money for oleanders. They grow fast. You pay postage and I will send you as many as you want.
Tally HO

1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 2:08AM
marilynhershey

I am looking for a white oleander that is resistant to freezing temperatures. I planted 20 as a hedge and there is only one that is still green (after our unusually cold winter and several freezes and snow). The others must be cut down to the ground. The one that remains green is also white but has a narrower leaf than all the others. Nurseries here often to not label the particular variety. I would appreciate any help on finding a cold resistant white oleander. Marilyn, Carlsbad, New Mexico. ladymur7@yahoo.com

Bookmark   March 16, 2015 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Bunny Tail Grass (Lagurus ovatus)
I found Bunny Tail Grass on a $1 rack at the garden...
srks72
Low growing native shrub?
I keep seeing photos of houses with dwarf yaupon in...
marti8a
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
Banner year for Dutch iris?
Unknown Dutch iris bulbs we received ages ago as one...
bostedo
going to austin but can't spend all time nursery hopping...
...as much as I'd like to, ha ha. Would like to know...
vossner
Sponsored Products
Oleander Canopy Bed Frame
$429.99 | zulily
$429.99 | zulily
Hand-tufted Oleander New Zealand Wool Rug (7'9 x 10'6)
Overstock.com
Oleander Bed Frame
$329.99 | zulily
$429.99 | zulily
Oleander Bed Frame
$329.99 | zulily
Oleander Bed Frame
$329.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™