Purple Tomatillo

katib_gardener(9)September 14, 2008

I planted several tomatillo seedlings this year, my first time growing them (or anything at all). Three plants survived. One started fruiting early and the other two are just now bearing fruit. One (or maybe two...they are growing together at this point) has purple fruit. Due to working way too much, I think I left them on the vine too long. But my question is, do tomatillos turn purple as they overripen (they still are firm) or did I somehow get some seeds for a purple tomatillo variety (which I think exists).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

There are both green and purple tomatillo varieties -- odds are, there were some purple seeds mixed in with the green ones, sometimes a seed sticks in the machine which packs them, that sort of thing. The green ones turn yellowish with a brown husk when fully ripe, the purple turns turn a dull purple with yellowish tinges and a brown husk when fully ripe. I personally don't notice much difference in flavor between the green and purple, but the purple ones I grew a few years back were smaller than the green, so were more of a pain to process. I haven't grown them since. I personally am fond of the really big green ones, am growing 'Gigante' from Burpee this year, and some of them are almost four inches across.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 6:53PM
deanriowa(4b)

Did you notice any taste difference between the purple and yellow tomatillos?

I am planning on growing some purple tomatillos next year from SSE.

Dean

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 9:10PM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

You know Katib I find the same. I am growing green tomatillos but from time to time I find a purple one. Not sure why, it seems to be the same as growing corn, i grew blue corn, but some of the kernels were white, others red. Mutations maybe?

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 1:34PM
katib_gardener(9)

Well, the jury is in. I cooked up those purple tomatillos to make some salsa and it turned out so sweet! I could not believe the difference. Usually the tomatillos don't add a ton of flavor, but this time they did. I had thrown a nice homegrown jalapeno in the mix, so it came out sweet at first with a nice slow burn. I am shocked at the difference in flavor.

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 11:49PM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

My son noted the sweetness of the salsa verde with purple tomatillos, we did need to add extra hot pepper to balance....

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
How long for seeds to germinate?
Had a few hard to get seeds this year that have not...
anthony_toronto
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
1st time growing tomato seeds in plugs
Hello, this is my first time growing tomato seeds in...
Thomas Eyr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™