Blue Ornamental Grasses?

meslgh(DFW 8a)November 6, 2013

Y'all are going to think that I have a thing for blue at this rate (not really, I'm more fond of purple).

Anyhow, I have seen photos of gardens with either Fescue Elijah Blue or Helicotrichon sempervirens Sapphire, and I just love that look. I've read that Elijah Blue does not do all that well here in Texas, and I haven't read any Texans singing the praises of Sapphire. I'm wondering what does well here that looks about the same. Northaven Gardens has a grass list with the comment that Carex glauca, aka Carex flacca, looks similar and does well here. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Muhlenbergia lindheimeri is listed as a blue-gray grass and looks that way in our yard. Though there are examples that appear more green to me. The attached link shows a couple color variations. A very nice ornamental grass that does well here, but less rounded than the other grasses and sedges you're considering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindheimer's muhly

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 11:47PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Blue-Lyme Grass, Elymus arenarius (Leymus arenarius) is a very blue grass without a hint of green that grows well for me in a very dry situation. It spreads by stolons but they are easy to pull up. I have no problem controlling it. I'll take a photo later. I've grown it for two years and hasn't bloomed, which is fine with me since the blooms are beige..

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue-lyme grass on Google

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 1:14PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Here's a photo ...

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 3:36PM
lucas_tx_gw

Some of the switch grass (Panicum virgatum) cultivars are "red" and some are "blue." Google around on those and see if you can locate one of the blue cultivars.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 5:00PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Little Bluestem "the Blues". I have not grown this one yet , but we sure have some blue Bluestem north of Lampasses on RT. 281 that are quite blue. My Little bluestem that is native around Austin area of the Hill Country is green.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™