How tall do your tomato plants grow??

dancinglemons(7B VA)September 25, 2009

Hello all,

Today my SWC Dr. Wyche tomato plants fell over!! Yep, the EarthBox with 2 Dr. Wyche plants fell over during a storm. DH went out and put the plants back up and secured them to their support poles which are 6 feet tall. It was then that we noticed that the plants which had grown completely over the top of the 6ft support had also grown back down to the ground and then some!! This makes these Dr. Wyche 12 feet tall!! I had not noticed this rampant growth because that part of the plant is run over with sweet potato vines and I don't routinely walk through the sweet potato vines.

How tall do your tomato plants grow??

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Way up all the way as far as they can go

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 2:18AM
kr222(6b)

I have some that are around 5' tall while others are closer to 10'. Luckily frost is right around the corner or I would need to grow a beanstalk to get to the fruit at the top. My tomatoes are all in full sun. Plants will get taller and lankier though if they get too much shade. Maybe the vigorous sweet potato vines were shading the plant a little too much requiring it to grow taller to get more light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 5:42AM
florida_country_boy

The tallest for me has been two SS100 growing to 18ft, pruned to 2 stems. But on average I would say 10ft.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 9:55AM
Fred_in_Maine(Southern Maine)

Here in Maine with excellent soil and 8-9 hours of sun, my plants grow to between 3 and 5 feet tall.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 4:58PM
tomatovator

Here is western PA I have plants ranging from 6' to 10' tall. The tallest are Marianna's Peace, Cuostralee, Yellow Brandywine and Goose Creek. Ramapo, Crnkovic Yugoslavian and Polish are a few feet shorter. They are still setting and growing fruit. If I get 3 more weeks without frost I should get a pretty good fall harvest.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 5:20PM
socks

My Celebrity is about 5' tall but probably 10' wide wallowing all over, strangling a rose bush. A tomato cage is a joke with a bush like this. Having a rose bush inside it makes it tricky to pick tomatoes.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 7:19PM
jwstell42(5 NY)

Mine in upstate NY generally go up a 6ft cage, back down again... and then a little.. so 12 feet or so?

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 11:03PM
home_grower(SoCal Z9 S18)

My Roma got to about 5' or 1' above the top of it's cage then it collapsed and worked it's way back down. Now it is working it's way out. I'm sure if I had a taller cage it would have grown with it. We have gotten a couple hunderd maters out of it and it keeps on giving. It now has a huge amount of new buds on it since I fertilized it last week.

Chris

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 2:22AM
struwwelpeter(5)

Not this year, though:

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 12:37PM
elskunkito

in ground, 8-15+, breed specific'
in Earth 'Tainer, 6'-9'

Note: That's not a knock on earth 'tainers.
They do have their advantages.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:59PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Thanks folks for your pictures and comments. I just pruned my Dr. Wyche plants today so that the green tomatoes will have a chance to get ripe before heavy frost kills the plant. Most of the large green tomatoes look like they will get to 12-16 ounces. The smaller green tomatoes will go into relish tomorrow.

DL

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 2:12AM
More Discussions
Red Robin, Snow Fairy, Tiny Tim in indoor hydroponics
I'm trying these three varieties primarily because...
delaware
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Jersey Boy - 2015
I volunteered to post a review for "Jersey Boy"...
hudson___wy
How many Tomato Plants can I put in this planter?
I just bought a 2x4 (10 inches deep) Ceder raised planter. How...
dragon49
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™